the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hide myself from RIAA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:58 am 
Quote:
Got this message from my isp:
Infringed Work: Star Trek Enterprise
Infringing FileName: star.trek.enterprise.322.hdtv-lol.[BT].avi
Infringing FileSize: 367284224
Protocol: BitTorrent
Infringers IP Address: 145.99.x.x
Infringer's User Name:
Infringer's DNS Name: x.dsl.internl.net
Initial Infringement Timestamp: 14 May 2004 04:43:30 GMT
Recent Infringement Timestamp: 14 May 2004 04:43:30 GMT

Currently I'm using super seed mode to prevent others from seeing me as a seeder when I've finished a torrent and upload for a minimum 1.000 upload ratio. Are there better options to 'hide' myself as the owner of a complete file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:12 am 

why superseed prevent you from being seen as a seeder? i really don't think it does also i don't think this is the place to discuss on how you should hide yourself to distribute illegal stuff in your country but take a look at peerguardian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:20 pm 
Because people do not see you as someone having 100% of the file.

At least, that's what I think happens. It would be nice to have such a feature, but I can imagine someone not wanting to implement such a feature for the reasons you mention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:08 pm 

ssjkakaroto wrote:
why superseed prevent you from being seen as a seeder? i really don't think it does also i don't think this is the place to discuss on how you should hide yourself to distribute illegal stuff in your country but take a look at peerguardian

Superseeding doesn't present itself as a seeder to other peers to force peers to download specific pieces from you in its effort to make better and more efficient use of your upstream.

http://bittornado.com/docs/superseed.txt explains what super seeding is and how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:05 pm 

Super-seed does tend to "hide" its status from other peers, but it's not difficult to see who is running it if you know what to look for. It would be theoretically possible to hide the fact that you're seeding a torrent more thoroughly, but someone with the resources of these people could still determine you were being the seed for the torrent. I recommend you not share pirated material unless you're willing to take responsibility for your actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:19 am 
Okay fair enough. Then again there are privacy issues not related to distributing copyrighted materials.

Post subject: seed or not?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:53 pm 
Why does it matter if you're seen as a seed, or not? If you're sharing even part of a copyrighted file, then you're still sharing a derivative, right?

Or could you then just give every seed a section of the total to handle and then nobody would have to report as a seed (and they'd be undetectable).

Given the non-anonymity of bittorrent as a protocol, I don't think you'll get very far. The only hope would be to identify trusted peers (like your friends) and only upload to them, or identify those who shouldn't have access.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]