the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: slower downloads
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:24 pm 
For the first time, my downloads are working the way that I had always read BitTorrent was supposed to work. My speeds coming down match my speeds going up.

I have 3 torrents coming down now, and each of them has a share rating between 1.1 and 1.2.

Until fairly recently, I used to get downloads that were much faster than my uploads.

Did something happen? Are clients or trackers changing, and cutting off leaches more effectively?

I'm not really complaining. I know this is how its supposed to work. I'm just curious if something has changed, and if so what has changed. Or if I've just been getting worse throughput lately.

I'm running 3.2.

Post subject: possible explanation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:38 pm 
The above post was about something I noticed -- all of a sudden, all of my downloads were slower. I never see torrents coming down at T1 speeds any more. Instead, they're pegged pretty closely to what I was seeding. Which is only fair, even if it is annoying.

Could the explanation be that ISPs (possibly mine) are choking off traffic on certain ports? Not blocking it completely, but slowing it down?

I've tried changing my ports to see if it helps... it's too soon to tell, although so far it doesn't seem like it's fixed things. I need to run more torrents through it, though, ideally on trackers that don't let anyone in the swarm use the standard bittorrent ports.

Post subject: same
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:06 am 
You know, I've noticed the exact same thing since about a week ago.
That was when I upgraded from v0.2.0 to v0.3.2
I was wondering if it was a coincidence or not too

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]