the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:56 pm 
1 (possibly?) small GUI improvement
In mozilla/firefox they have tabbed browsing, i think it'd be nice to impliment a simple but configable thing like this for torrent windows
just a small strip of tabs across the top

deffinately make it configurable though, as i know some people wouldn't want it

Post subject: Queuing Features...
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:54 pm 
Well heres my suggestion, not sure if this has been posted before...

I think it would be a great idea if the new multicore client could implement a queuing system.

It should probably have the following features:

1. Close/Deactivate torrent after a specified share rating has been achieved.
2. Limiting the number of uploads/downloads occurring at the same time (as not to saturate bandwidth)
3. Ask for a save location when starting each torrent, if one is not specified it should timeout and save to a default directory specified.

This is ideal as we could queue up several torrents at once and then leave them to download automatically.

p.s. Keep up the great work Shadow, can't wait for the new client!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:58 pm 
i would like it if it could remember where i started a torrent so i could immediatley go back to that place when i open the torrent file up. it gets annyoing to have to go there every time i resume or to transfer it from my main folder. also, i would like it alot if we could make it save the file to different places depending on the torrent name like for example
Folder:Bittorrent Files
Subfolder: Alias
Subfolder: Simpsons

So If the file the torrent is saving has simpsons in it we could customize it that it would automatically ask if i want to save it in the simpsons folder instead of asking if i want to save it in the main bittorrent folder.

Another thing which has been said multiple times, but make the advanced list sortable so i can sort by ip or peer speed or something along those lines.

other than that i <3 your program :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:08 pm 
*download speed limiter

sometimes if the torrent is to fast it kills all my other connections and other bandwith limiting programs fuck my computer up sometimes

*fast resume

maybe create a small 2 or 3 kb file that tells the program how what it already has (for example torrent spy creates a small file that it uses to tell it what pieces are already done)

*lock to taskbar
sometimes when ppl see that you are doing filesharing they go off the handle and start lecturing you, if we could lock it down their with some kind of password or key stroke then all i would have to do is change the color of the bt icon so it matches the taskbar and it wouldnt be seen until its done. i have already changed the icon colors to match the taskbar until its done when it will show a slightly darker BT on a background that matches the bar, that way ppl dont see it unless they are snooping. if i could lock it down there that would help alot.

*Close/Deactivate torrent after a specified share rating has been achieved
Sometimes i am away for a few days and when i come back the isp has shut my internet down cause i have used up all of my upload bandwith, plus if its a small torrent and i leave it up for the night it would be nice if it could stop at a specified time of day (close at 6 am with the option to still close even if tis not done) or after a specified share rating has been hit (once again with the option to close even if the torrent file has not been finished).

if you could implement these i would love you forever :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:01 pm 

i have a question?

when bittorrent 3.5 comes out, are you going to update it to match whatever optimizations were made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:56 am 
Since BT now has the option to not d/l specified files, could it also have the option to not create them at all? Seems like if I choose Pre-allocate or any other allocation option, it always allocates and creates every file even if they're not wanted. Can't delete them out until the BT client is closed, either.

Also, if you pause the client, then resume, it forgets all your selections of which files to not get or to get first, etc. Same thing if you have to close the client and restart it for some reason.

(I'm sure it's already been posted and I missed it in my skimming, but if not....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:13 pm 

- Seed off CD-ROM drive
Enhance the BT so that it can seed off the CD-ROM drive.

The only problem with this function is:
Sometimes if you burn too fast, the target file may decay back to 98% or 99% instead of your downloaded 100%. Therefore, if the torrent is indeed reading off a non-writeable source (i.e. CD-ROM drive), then prohibit the BT client from writing, only reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:32 am 

Great job this far shad0w. There's still one little feature I can't live without: a little crossbox for "release upload limit when done". Since I must limit my upload to 35 kB/s if I wan't to download at 57 kB/s (wich is the max for this connection), it would be really handy to have this option for those overnight-torrens that can't seed at max speed when done if I'm not around to change the limit..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:36 am 

i could use a feature that checks if it's really neccesary to double or triple check for corruption, i'd like to know when it finds any corruption, if it's set to triple, and it always finds after the second or first check, i can leave it on second
or maybe make this a hidden feature so it checks triple, then when it notices that it finds the corruption after the second, it sets itself to that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:03 am 

Drakuun wrote:
i could use a feature that checks if it's really neccesary to double or triple check for corruption, i'd like to know when it finds any corruption, if it's set to triple, and it always finds after the second or first check, i can leave it on second
or maybe make this a hidden feature so it checks triple, then when it notices that it finds the corruption after the second, it sets itself to that

If it finds corruption when double or triple checking, you've got something wrong on your machine. A failure in double-checking indicates a problem in your machine's ability to store stuff in memory without the values changing when they aren't supposed to change which is either due to bad memory, bad drivers, etc.... A triple check failure when you don't have any double-check failures indicates a failing hard drive, bad IDE cable or bad IDE connection, bad IDE chipset drivers or anything where the data it reads back from the drive itself isn't the same as the data it wrote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:13 am 

so what are you saying? at least one of these features is useless? or should both be used at the same time? and how does errr...elliminate my previous post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:14 am 

I'd looooove a feature that would allow you to specify the time you would want the torrent to start. This would be excellent for people who have peak/off-peak download limits. e.g. I get 5GB peak (8am-12am) and off-peak (12am-8am). I always seem to use my peak however if I could have it that the torrent starts at 12am then it would save me (and a lot of other people I presume) some hassles. I don't think this would be too hard to impliment however I am no coder. If you could have a specified stop time to that would be a bonus but I think just getting the torrent to start at a specified time would be unreal.

Pete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:32 am 

Drakuun wrote:
so what are you saying? at least one of these features is useless? or should both be used at the same time? and how does errr...elliminate my previous post?

Well, the question is, how would it be able to predict hardware failure ahead of time and know exactly when to enable more checking short of just having triple check enabled all the time? What if it considers X amount of downloads with triple check enabled to then consider that it only needs double-check then after a while of being in double-check mode your hard drive starts showing signs of failure but double-checking finds nothing wrong the whole time? It seems like it would still require the user to change the check mode themself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:11 pm 

bytetorrent wrote:
Well, the question is, how would it be able to predict hardware failure ahead of time and know exactly when to enable more checking short of just having triple check enabled all the time?

sorry i still don't get it, does this mean it can't predict hardware failure?

i just wanna know wich one to check, or if i should get neither, or if this feature could be enhanced somehow so that i don't even have to choose oO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:26 am 
If you have to identical torrents with different trackers, it seems to me that you could make a modified torrent with both trackers specified using the multitracker features. I haven't tried it, though.

Sometimes you run across a tracker that inserts a file or two, though, so the file data is different, and you couldn't do this.

A really sweet feature would be if bittornado checked for duplicate files within torrents and attempted to combine efforts on those.

Note that these details are for automation of the process--trying to get bittornado to find duplicate data and only download it once. It seems that the first step would be rudimentary support by allowing users to specify a few torrents that should be combined, because there are duplicate files by filename(maybe case insensitive) and length and hash OR duplicate torrents with different trackers.

Some details:

How to find duplicate files:
length and filename -- hash
Obviously the hash would have to be the same, but you don't need to compare the hashes if the lengths are different, and it might be a good idea to do some sort of filename comparison. Even just fuzzy extension checking. A TXT and an NFO might very well be the same. An EXE and a DAT are less likely, though.

Another way would be to find two potentially duplicate files based on length and hash, then compare chunks that were downloaded. If a few chunks match, it's probably safe to say that the two sources are the same. This gets rid of the limited entropy from the hashes. On really small files, your chunks may be larger than the file itself. Perhaps a toggle that if the filename and length and hash are the same in any two torrents, treat them as identical.

on a side note:
It might even make sense to find pieces with the same hash and only download them once, but I don't know how much entropy the hashes have. It seems that, unless the piece hash has the same number of bits as the piece, then two pieces with different data could have the same hash. The torrent isn't big enough for that, and this would load the server down, so the piece hash must be small.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next