the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:04 pm 

implementing that in a bt client would make no sense IMHO, i think a 3rd party program would be best for that, it could check specific pages and if there was a torrent you wanted it would download it automatically and run you bt program. there used to be a program that did something similar, but it only worked with animesuki pages (because it uses xml), the program parsed the xml file and you could download only specific anime from specif groups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:56 pm 
TheSHAD0W. Check out what this guy done to your cleint back when it was 5.8.5. He added great things.

Heres the link to the installer.

http://www.albert-feller.de/mirror/U-0.8.5b.exe

Now just take a look.

His modified version has:

*Windows XP Style
*Auto saves torrents to a specified folder when you launch .torrent from a browswer.
*Remembers download directory for each torrent, for instant resuming.

You have to see it for yourself to fully understand. These three things would make your client 10x's better. Thanks for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:46 pm 
i agree, the windows xp style would make it 10x better than it already is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:22 pm 
Not sure how easy or difficult this would be to implement, but...

It'd be really nifty if the client could dynamicly adjust the upload rate based on the current download rate and connection capability, so that it is always uploading as fast as possible without saturating the connection and interfering with the downstream side.

For example, my cable connection is capped at 3000d/256u kilobits/sec, if the torrent is downloading at full speed the torrent upload rate has be be less than roughly 14 kB/s (can't remember the exact number) to avoid congesting the upstream. But if the torrent slows down for whatever reason there would be more upstream available, then the client could increase the upload rate to take advantage of the added bandwidth, leaving a safety buffer to insure that if the download starts to speed back up there's enough upstream bandwidth available to allow it to do so. If the download is completed it could just uncap the upload, or switch to a user specified setting that's different than the normal download one.

It'd be really helpfull to the non-technical users if the client could automaticly discover the bandwidth limits also.

Both of those features are probably something that should be part of the core BitTorrent code though, but it'd be cool if BitTornado beat the offical one to it. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:41 am 
the problem is our low upload speed, if broadband was symetrical there would be no need to cap anything at all! when you upload, your download packet is used as well since they need to acknowledge what is sent and what isn't. so their has to be some breathing room. the puny upload of 128,256k,384k etc are just meant be enough to handle your downloads not for uploading anything.. say a connection of 3000/256, downloading at 300k/sec would leave you nothing on uploads. downloading from 1 peer uses much less ul packets then it would from multiple peers since it has to send back and forth more often. capping ul only help to download faster but like i said, the more peer you connect to who can only sent a few k each is actually wasting bandwidth.. hence, the slow download even if you have capped your ul to very low say 3kb/s
this is frustrating cause if you cap it very high, your download sucks. if you cap it very low your download may improve a little but torrent overall speed will slow down as well.
This is beginning to suck for me because I can't pull more then 100k-150k/s on my 6mb connection and 512k uploads. regardless if I run 4 torrents or 8 torrents, its all the same.
seems like the speed has something to do with people's crapband? just like it plagued every other p2p. occasionaly, i will get really fast speed of 300-400k/s but that's just from one source! which only happen once in a blue moon :(
:arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:42 am 

suggestion: screenshots on site? one or two would be swell

Post subject: Suggestion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:46 am 
How about multiple instances of BT in just one window, less memory usage? with a manager so that if you need to redown a file, you dont have to go to sites to find it again...

Something liek the PTC client.

Post subject: Would like to see...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:31 pm 
Please add functionality along the lines:
On completion - run a_program ... (passing filelocation&name)

eg...(using Norton Virus checker as example)
When the torrent completes, if its a single file:
Run C:\Program files\norton\NAVW32.EXE DRIVE:\DIR\FILENAME.EXT

When torrent completes, if multi file pack
Run C:\Program files\norton\NAVW32.EXE DRIVE:\DIR\*.*

Really basic example (sorry) but i'd like to be able to automatically virus check files / or run batch scripts against them. (more of a problem for multi directory torrents).

Ideally something along the lines of what GETRIGHT does on completion would be great.

Thanks & i hope this makes sense!

Swampy
(Dedicated Emule user - until i found BitTorrent! - wow using the full potential of my DSL connection at last!!!!!)[/b]

Post subject: Upload preferences
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:03 pm 
Alot of people seem to be getting sick of leechers these days, me included. Everybody proposes a banning system to ban leeches who don't share but I figure why not take a positive renforcement approach.

It goes like this:

When a user starts up their BT Client and it begins to download, it will have a list of the uploaders and how much they have uploaded to your computer (max size of the list should be like 100 IP addresses for example and is checked only once a minute or so to not overwork our cpu). Every minute it checks the current uploaders against the list of IP's and adds how much more they have uploaded. If the list is smaller than 100 IP's it adds the new IP and sorts based on the upload amount.

The purpose of this list is this: when your BT Client connects to a peer it checks the peers IP address against the list's set. If the IP address matches your BT client will give preferential upload treatment to that IP address (If there is more than one IP on the list it will prefer the one who uploaded the most) since it uploaded so much to your computer already. This system would mean those who upload alot will also be able to download alot since every computer will give them preffered treatment. And since this person is a heavy uploader (thats why they made it on your list) they will probably seed afterwards as well ensuring that the downloads go even better for everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:46 pm 
since i know some people are having corrupted downloads issues due to bad ram, why not make an option to auto reload the torrent if that ever occurs so that users won't get pissed off when they found their download stopped in the middle of the night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:09 am 

I am not sure if this can be done or can already be done but an IP filter? Where I live if you download/upload to users within your state that are on certain ISP's the traffic is counted as quota free. I know you can already use the Azureus to do this but having it in shadow's client would be good as I don't like the other client. A file has been written by someone in the community for the IP ranges so I am sure if the option could be made it would be very useful to a fair amount of people. Thanks.

Pete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:55 am 

hum the server would push the people with traffic limits back, since they will off course cap their upload and so on, tho it seems fair, the ppl that have limits can't help it, here in belgium for example, there is on one cable isp wich provides the fastest internet, with traffic limits, in the old days if you went over your limit 3x they cut you off for good, so they sure scared their customers good and they'll prolly do anything not to go over

Post subject: automatic shutdown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:45 am 
I would like to have an option (like a checkbox) to automatically close down the app when a file has been downloaded. better yet, let it shutdown when you have shared a specified ratio, say 1.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:20 am 

and errr....maybe you can add an anonymous stat collector (optional) to see how fast stuff comes in and so on, it could benefit the server maybe, or the seeder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:47 am 

I think being able to send messages would be nice. A simple UDP send of a clientVer would confirm if they support it, then you could right-click on their name in the Advanced tab and send a message.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next