the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: feature request
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:30 pm 
I've found that sometimes a certain IP will continuously send me bad pieces. I would LOVE to see an option to block a certain IP addres. Or better yet to have an allow and deny drop down box for each IP address in the advanced view.
Any one else think they would use this option?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:52 pm 

There's an automatically kick/ban peers that send bad data option already in BitTornado, it's in the Perfs screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:25 pm 
Well, this feature would also be nice to blosck those IP's that dont have a high upload rate to you. I often have 20 ip's who havent sent me any data. I hate to be connected to more than 40 peers because it often takes a lot of bandwidth to keep connected to them. If I could block those ips who send me little to no data would reduce the amount of wasted bandwidth i'm using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:59 pm 

The amount of data being sent to maintain those connections is negligable.
The only way to block those ISP blocks with slow speeds currently is with an external application such as peerguardian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:16 am 
Quote:
this feature would also be nice to blosck those IP's that dont have a high upload rate to you

Why on earth would you want to do this?

Just because you're not exchanging data at the moment, doesn't mean that you won't before the end.

Perhaps you have no pieces that they need, yet, but you might soon.
Perhaps they haven't got any pieces you want yet! Does this mean that you will always get the bits first, NO! Once the peer has pieces that you don't have you may start to echange data, had you blocked them, you have immediately slowed your download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:20 pm 
You mean to tell me you havent run into a situation where an IP address has 100% of the torrent dowloaded and never send you one piece of the torrent? I know I have. And as for the:
Quote:
I totally disagree. If I am merely connected to 40 peers and am not transfering any data to them ie i'm not uploading or downlaoding anything my connection is severly booged down. When I try to download a file from the web or stream content I will recieve maybe half the speed I would normally without the torrent running. So the bandwidth being used to keep the connection alive to these peers is very much neglagable. I should also note that i'm not on a slow connection. Last time I ran a bandwidth test I was at 2.9 megabits per second. So I still say this feature would be usefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:29 pm 

OC768 wrote:
And as for the:
Quote:
I totally disagree.

Disagree if you want, but maintaining those connections takes next to no bandwidth (somewhere in the tune of 1 byte every 10-30 seconds, MAYBE. Prove me wrong with REAL numbers please.)

What operating system are you running? Some are not capable of properly handling the NUMBER of connections that BitTorrent pumps through them. Windows 98 and ME are the worst culprits.
Additionally, software firewalls will add in some other odd variables that can't be accounted for in the writing of an application such as BitTorrent.

Blocking entire ISPs may prevent you from downloading at all. The concept behind BT is sharing. Blocking IP blocks not only prevents you from downloading form them, it prevents them from downloading from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:18 pm 
i'll attempt to post some actual figures within the next few days. I'm running XP Pro. How or what tests would you recomend me performing. Also, I have set myself as the DMZ so I am not blocking anything between me and the internet. Lastly, if I block an IP that isnt pulling any pieces from me, and also isnt uploading any to me then i'm not changing anything except the number of peers i'm connected to. Can someone back me up on the idea that often times there are peers that you are connected to that you NEVER upload or download ANY pieces from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:50 am 

I'm running some tests with netlimiter for bandwidth usage per peer for 0 complete torrents.

4 byte/sec peak for 1 sec when the connection was completed.
Yes the bandwidth usage will go up for higher completion, but the amount of bandwidth still is not as significant as you make it out to be.

Quote:
Lastly, if I block an IP that isnt pulling any pieces from me, and also isnt uploading any to me then i'm not changing anything except the number of peers i'm connected to. Can someone back me up on the idea that often times there are peers that you are connected to that you NEVER upload or download ANY pieces from.

No you're not JUST changing who's connected to who. It may have just been bad luck that the two of you never shared any pieces. It may have been super-seed mode and you weren't sharing your good quota compared to everyone else. Yes there are peers that never recieve any interaction other then the handshake, but that doesn't change the fact that the potential for interaction is improved when you are actually connected to that peer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:45 pm 
DWKnight, its not about bandwith exactly.. It's a known fact that tons (or in my case 50+) of peers connected to you wether your downloading from them or not bogs the connection down and causes time outs when browsing websites..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:02 pm 
Thank you LJ. This is exactly what I was talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:57 pm 

Then limit your peer connections in the advanced preferences or not run as many torrents at once (or both)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]