the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stumped...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:18 am 
I downloaded BT 0.3.3 a few days ago, got it working (50kb/sec d/l) with the port forwarding/triggering, downloaded some stuff and things were cool. Now things aren't so good. For some reason, my system (98SE, PII 400, 192MB, wireless broadband, yeah old but for surfing its a champ) starts to creep after 30min-1hr or so, and gets progressively slower until I have to restart- or reboot if it hangs at the desktop. The mouse cursor skips like every 5 sec, and then the keyboard doesnt work, and applications (such as scandisk) pause every few seconds instead of flying through. After reboot, it goes through the same thing all over again....works fine, then gets choppy, slowwwwer, then have to reboot.

I uninstalled BT, and deleted all the files I downloaded in case that was the cause. I'm stumped because I've run every AntiVirus and AntiSpy prog I can get (Spybot S&D with updates, HijackThis, etc.), checked everything in MSconfig, startup progs, registry, power management, even a RAM test and cooling check (open case with room fan), along with regular stuff like dumping the temp files/cookies and scandisk/defragging...I still can't find anything that is causing this! All the troubleshooting on the web seems to be about general obvious 98/98SE issues. I'm posting here because it started after dl'ing/using BT (not the Major Problems forum cuz I don't know for sure its BT related)...just wonding if anyone else has/had the same problem or if anyone has any other ideas. Short of a new/undetected virus or incredibly stealthy prog, I have no clue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:52 am 

98SE has problems with utilization of more than 64 MB of RAM. Hit Prefs and uncheck Enable read/write buffering, see if that helps any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:29 pm 
with my computer (XP Pro with 512mb RAM) every single BT client I use progressively eats up RAM and doesnt free it, in the processes tab of the task manager it doesnt say its using much RAM but it can be the only program open and my RAM will go down to about 30 or 20mb free, until I use a program to free up the unused RAM that wasnt freed by the program that used it. Try getting a program that can do that and see if it helps instead of havign to restart your computer (this seems to happen with every BT client, not only BitTornado)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:53 pm 
Thanks for the replies. As I mentioned, I uninstalled BitTornado, along with the .mpg and .avi files I downloaded in the days I used it, which is why this is a stumper. If BT was still installed, I'd definitely try these as workarounds, but right now, I'm just trying to get the system back to normal for everyday use. I was just sort of wondering if there were any other 98/98SE users with any similar experiences or some obvious solution I haven't discovered. I hadn't thought of going over 64MB causing the problem, I guess I'll take out the 128MB stick and see if just keeping 64MB in there makes any difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:24 pm 
Well it wasn't BT, seems the driver for the wireless card was messed up preventing the swapfile from being used. Reinstalling the driver fixed it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]