the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: i have an idea...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:29 pm 
the other day i was downloading a file with no seeds... there we were, about 40 of us desperately waiting for someone to reseed so we could finally finish the damn thing! i was sitting in the 'advanced info' window wishing there was some way to discuss the problem with the swarm and see what we can do about it when it hit me, why not make a small program that works with any client where you could chat with the swarm? kind of like a mini chat room or one of those shout box's you find on websites such as isohunt. since your already connected to the peer why not talk to them, right? but the problem is i know nothing about scripting :( so something like this would be impossible for me to program! i was wondering if this little program is actually possible and if so can anyone make it happen?

thanks for reading guys, and im looking forward to a response!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:29 pm 

I do like that idea. But of course most people just let the BT download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:46 am 
Quote:
I do like that idea. But of course most people just let the BT download.

Right, but it would be great to be able to throw some serious flames at 0 kB seeders! :twisted: ...and to say hi to friends. :)

If this happens, then you would probably not need MSN any more! :lol:

//

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:20 am 

i'm against this cuz IMO this would be just a new way to receive spamming, just imagine what a simple bot could do in 5000+ swarm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:53 am 

Chat has already been discussed as a suggestion for an extension to BitTornado.

It has been just as quickly shot down as a spam haven.

It is actually possible (to a point) to integrate chat and BT.
Some trackers are capable of restricting access to a BT swarm by IP address. If you set up an appropriate bot in an IRC channel, you can force users to be on that channel in order to download from BT.

Chat = spam almost automatically. Kazaa and EDonkey are examples of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:32 pm 
i believe bitcomet has a chat option

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:57 am 
i understand that spam will always be an issue when it comes to chat, but i dont think its would be that much of a problem. you shouldnt be forced to connect to a chat room and if gets clogged with spam why not just log off?

take torrentspy for an example, its a very useful tool indeed, but its not at all necessary to download a file nor does it alter the speed in any way, its completely optional. the same thing could work with this little program. not only is it a good way to kill time waiting for your download to finish but also to quickly solve some problems you are having... now if we just get a hold of someone who can program it :?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:59 am 
that was me by the way :oops:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]