the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:23 pm 

I am curious as to why our IP adresses our shown. I am asking this because when I download large files, and my IP adress is visible for a long period of time, my Norton firewall starts picking up all kinds of attacks. This only usually happens when I am downloading .torrent files. So why show IP adresses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:53 pm 
Yea, my Zonelab goes crazy too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:02 pm 

to show you they got the p0w4r to pwnzor u, it's not anonymous n stuff so you die if u screw around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:34 pm 

It really wouldn't help you very much if the client hid your IPs; an attacker can obtain them simply by running netstat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:21 am 

TheSHAD0W wrote:
It really wouldn't help you very much if the client hid your IPs; an attacker can obtain them simply by running netstat.

True I suppose, but you think it would cut down on the attacks if IP's were at least partially masked? Or is this something we just have to live with if we want to download torrents? :cry: My Norton does a pretty good job blocking attacks, I am just worried one of these days something is going to slip by. Is there anything I could do to further protect myself?

Post subject: IPNAT
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:24 am 
I'm no expert at NAT, all I stick with is IPFilter. But I always wondered why we didn't use NAT when sending the data, I mean it's not like we need to know the orginating IP address of the data as bably cause we are given a hash to check the data anyways. So anyone who knows how IPNAT works can u tell me why we don't use it (maybe i've go the wrong idea of how it works)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:31 pm 

bongerman wrote:
TheSHAD0W wrote:

True I suppose, but you think it would cut down on the attacks if IP's were at least partially masked? Or is this something we just have to live with if we want to download torrents? :cry: My Norton does a pretty good job blocking attacks, I am just worried one of these days something is going to slip by. Is there anything I could do to further protect myself?

Well if no peer knew each other peer's IP address, how do you expect the peers to be able to connect to each other to even begin transferring data?

Post subject: IP's and the MPAA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:58 pm 
I just got a letter from my ISP, saying that I'm in trouble for downloading a movie using bitttorent. Showing our IP's makes targetting by the MPAA way too easy for them. I have no idea what the future will bring but I suppose I'm going to be another "example" (or martyr) in the whole filesharing contoversy.

Post subject: Re: IP's and the MPAA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:11 pm 

Dr. Kelso wrote:
I just got a letter from my ISP, saying that I'm in trouble for downloading a movie using bitttorent. Showing our IP's makes targetting by the MPAA way too easy for them. I have no idea what the future will bring but I suppose I'm going to be another "example" (or martyr) in the whole filesharing contoversy.

And hiding IPs won't solve much either. The tracker you connect to for the file knows your IP and that is how other peers find out your IP to connect to you. Using a single tracker query, you could grab a sizeable list of IPs that are actively downloading a given torrent. So, even if the client doesn't show IPs, the tracker knows your IP and has to know it for other peers to be able to connect to you since other peers get peer IPs from the tracker too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:59 pm 

BitTorrent isn't meant for piracy. Deal with it. Go download on some supernode-based system where, so long as you aren't serving a file, it's exceedingly difficult for you to be blamed for anything. Or use Freenet or Waste, or Degreez when I finally get it working (if ever).

Post subject: Re: IP's and the MPAA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:33 am 
Dr. Kelso wrote:

I can tell you that MPAA does not use the client to find your ip. It prooves too little.

They do instead use a packetsniffer, and nomatter what it would be possible to spot you.

Either deal with the consequences or don't deal with anything at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:25 pm 

just sue teh isp for invasion of privacy or something, it's extremely hard to get that information in a legal way here in belgium, so jus scare em back, you'll prolly get a noob at the telephone, one you can nuke

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]