the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: What's going on
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:29 pm 
I have no idea what I'm doing. Let me explain, I am new to this and am trying to learn so bear with me.

I am trying to download some anamie. Bit tornado is running and the part that I can't understand is I am dowloading at a wopping 5 Kbps while uploading at an amazing 53 Kbps. I can't figure it out. There are 6 seeds and 24 peers connected. I tested my cable line and got 3429 on the download and 236 on the upload. Of the seeds and peers some are downloading as high as 153 Kbps. shouldn't my download speed be better if not keeping up to my upload speed.

I got to be missing something. Please respond using small words so I can understand because it seems that this is far to complicated for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:25 pm 

There is such a thing as uploading to much. Try uploading at 30 for awhile. Even when I upload at 20kb i can still geto 160 kbs a sec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:14 pm 
Yep.. you might be flooding your connection. But also, remember that the speeds you get, depends a lot on luck.

* Some clients have slow upload, that affects your download.
* If the fast clients are snubbed (upload-slots full), you'd have to wait before you download from them.
* You usually don't get a complete peer-list from the tracker, so your client might not even know of the high-speed peers; other than indirectly, by you watching other clients download speeds.
* If you are firewalled, that might influence speeds as well.

My download speeds usually start out pretty low, then climbs. I can start out at around 2-3 kb/s and then rise up to around 200 kb/s.
Patience is a virtue ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]