the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 10mbit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:52 pm 
I have 10mbit in and out (fiber), no adsl.

I new at computers so can someone please quick tell me how to get BT to download faster?

What do you recommend for settings for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:53 pm 
Download speed is tied directly to upload speed, and most users are worried about their download speed. To get the best download speed, you want to upload fast enough to other users that they find you worthwhile to download to. If I follow you correctly, your connection has 10Mbit split as needed between upload/download. To maximize that, you would want to split that for 50% download, 50% upload. If I'm mistaken and the connection is 10Mbit up, 10MBit down, then one: I'm Really Jealous, and two: Just double my first couple numbers.

Well, you can pick connection type 'T3+' and do the math yourself, or connection type 'automatic' and see how things work.

If you choose 'T3+', the current accepted formula for choosing 0.3.7 upload speeds I believe is to remove 10% from your bandwidth and use that for your max upload speed.

So, assuming you want to use your bandwidth just for torrents:
10Mb/s = 10240kb/s (Kilobits per sec) = 1280 kB/s (kilobytes per sec)

Reserve 10% for misc
1280 kB/s - 10% = 1152kB/s

Reserve Half for the download:
1152kB/s - 50% = 576kB/s

Max uploads: How many computers to upload Torrent data to at once. Feel free to experiment, as I'm not too sure how this works for those really high-speed connections. You might try starting at 50, and then try setting it as high or low as you like.

I suspect you might have trouble getting any Torrent software to work at capacity downloading anything short of the bussiest torrents (wish I had that kind of problem... :cry: ).

Something to try anytime you think your torrent is going too slow: Divide the total speed by the number of peers to get the average download speed for the torrent. I'm happy as long as my download speed is above that average.

Other settings to consider:
Max download speed: Leave this at 0, unless you want to limit how fast you are downloading files. This setting is found on the 'advanced' screen.

Port range: This is found on the 'Perfs' screen. Change it. Pick a number at random and use it for the 'From' value (suggest between 10000 and 65000). Add 20 and use that for the 'To' value. Long story short: Some ISPs arn't fond of torrent, so they place limits on bandwidth using the default torrent port range. Changing this to a number nobody else is using makes it difficult for ISPs to place the same limits on you.

The following settings are found under 'Perfs' by clicking on the Advanced Button. Adjust at your own risk.
Max peer connections: Anything short of 'no limit' (the default) will likely limit your download speed. Myself, I'm going to be experimenting with this over the next few days to see how it affects me.

Mininum number of peers:
Not sure what you'd want to set this to. Mine defaults to 20, and I'm perfectly happy with it on my 256kbps connection. In your shoes, I might start it at 40 or 80. Changing this setting might be of real benefit to you only if you restart a torrent.

Others, feel free to comment, correct, or append to this. Especialy those of you with faster connections than mine.

Myself, I'd like to hear how fast you get your connection working.
On second thought, I'd rather not hear. (Am I jealous, or am I jealous? :wink: )
//Torrenal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:35 am 
Thanks! Your answer helpt me alot! Now I download in ca +400kb/s that is ok. Before download like 40kb/s.. :)

My new settings:
http://hem.bredband.net/b161365/BT-9.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:37 am 
I forgot! I use T3 and I set the Upload rate (kb/s): 1152. And the Max uploads: 50.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]