the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:15 am 
Recently I've noticed that some of the torrents I'm downloading have much larger pieces than other torrents. I.E. if I'm getting a 170MB file, the piece size is normally 256KB, but for some files the piece size is 1MB.

Do larger piece sizes make the torrent cluster more efficent or less efficent? Or is the torrent creator just playing around with the piece size because he/she can?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:27 am 

A bigger chunk means that there's more combinations that could yeild an identical hash, meaning corrupt files.
Bigger chunks = less pieces = small torrent size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:24 am 

Some torrent creation progs choose less-than-optimal piece sizes. The main reason is to keep the size of the .torrent file down to a manageable level. The torrent creation code in my source package will use 1M pieces for torrents > 2 gig, or 2M pieces for torrents > 8 gig. The larger the piece size, the longer it takes to obtain when starting up, and the more that needs to be recovered if bad data is received.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:04 pm 
Ok, Thanks for the replys. I knew that with larger files the chunk size was bigger. I was just wondering why I had seen a 140 MB file with only 140 pieces. I did notice that it took a long time before I got the first piece to download and share (Even though it's useless, I like to watch the advanced screen details :) )

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]