the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:25 am 
Ok i have read so many speed issues and one thing i have to say for certain. Bittorrent, no matter what i do is simply slow compared to the dedicated d/l servers. I have set my upload to 8kb/s even thought im on adsl 512/128 and still no luck im stuck at the 25-30kb/s. I have turned the firewall off. Still simply slow. NOW here is the weird and strange thing. When i got the latest version of Bittornado, my d/l speed was almost certain 50kb/s for like a week. I was just happy with it, d/ling files of up to 1.4Gb at that speed, awsome. But after a week i tried to d/l a 4Gb file and that was it, the speed fell back to around 25 and ever since it stays this way for almost all my d/ls.

Is it possible that the client doesnt reach the full d/l speed with large files i.e. more than 1Gb?? Plus, does the tracker have anything to do with d/l. For example would a conggested tracker be more likey to cause slow d/l speeds? Or is there some other underlying issue with the BT algorithms that may cause such effects. Was i simply lucky that after getting the latest client i was getting good d/l speed??

Can someone please contribute to this and post their speed experiences with BT. Tell us if you always reach full d/l speed or sometimes or maybe even never? Were there plenty of peers/seeders when you getting slow speed or not. You just simply describe the environment when you get good and bad d/l speed. I would realy love to know if there are people out there that always get good speed constantly with every download( except when the file didnt have many peers/seeders).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:08 pm 
first of all, your coneection sucks. second, 30-50kb/s is still very very slow IMHO :lol: :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:45 pm 
i didnt ask for your pointless opinions! If i did, i would have said "Can all the idiots out there please contribute their stupid thoughts"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:01 pm 

I will attempt to answer this in as professional a way as possible.

bladeproject wrote:
Ok i have read so many speed issues and one thing i have to say for certain. Bittorrent, no matter what i do is simply slow compared to the dedicated d/l servers. I have set my upload to 8kb/s even thought im on adsl 512/128 and still no luck im stuck at the 25-30kb/s. I have turned the firewall off. Still simply slow. NOW here is the weird and strange thing. When i got the latest version of Bittornado, my d/l speed was almost certain 50kb/s for like a week. I was just happy with it, d/ling files of up to 1.4Gb at that speed, awsome. But after a week i tried to d/l a 4Gb file and that was it, the speed fell back to around 25 and ever since it stays this way for almost all my d/ls.

Something outside of bittorrent may have started interfering with your downloads at that time as just a coincidence.

bladeproject wrote:
Is it possible that the client doesnt reach the full d/l speed with large files i.e. more than 1Gb?? Plus, does the tracker have anything to do with d/l. For example would a conggested tracker be more likey to cause slow d/l speeds? Or is there some other underlying issue with the BT algorithms that may cause such effects. Was i simply lucky that after getting the latest client i was getting good d/l speed??

The tracker does not directly control how much speed you get, it just reports to the other clients about what your share ratio is. I've reached full download speeds (approximately 130kbyte/sec) with torrent files ranging from under 50MByte to over 4GByte, so it's not BitTorrent itself that can't handle the filesize.

bladeproject wrote:
Can someone please contribute to this and post their speed experiences with BT. Tell us if you always reach full d/l speed or sometimes or maybe even never? Were there plenty of peers/seeders when you getting slow speed or not. You just simply describe the environment when you get good and bad d/l speed. I would realy love to know if there are people out there that always get good speed constantly with every download (except when the file didnt have many peers/seeders).

I would personally start by running a spyware removal tool with updated data files, then checking for viruses and trojans and other bandwidth eaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:43 am 
I had the same problem with the early bittornado...topping out at 50k on a 3 meg connection

true upgrading to 0.1.4...it seems to have fixed it for me

maybe there was a bug...or maybe i was just dreaming but hey i'm happy now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:56 am 
Well as a MCSA i take care of my system a fair bit. And nothing is running that i dont wish to be there. I go to great lenghs to make sure that no spyware or anything like that is present on my machine. Its my job to make windows based systems run perfectly.

One thing though i would like to know. Is bittornado saving the preferences somewhere in the registry? Because with previous versions i would loose the preferences settings when i deleted the client. Not with the latest version though.

Post subject: my experience
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:52 pm 
For me it greatly varies, some torrents come in at 9KB/s others upto 200KB/s but I did notice a halfing of speed with all new 'tornado' versions so I use v .10 of the old one since that is the last one that did anything for me :/
I do try the new tornado's though, in the hope of seeing one that at least equals performance.

Btw, I'm not impressed by people saying "I have set my upload to 8kb/s even thought im on adsl 512/128" I mean 50% of your bandwidth for upload should be considered low average, I don't know who raised all you people who think that p2p means SM2IR (Special Me 2 Insignificant Rest)
Did your moms say to you when you were a little kid "you don't need lunchmoney just push some smaller kids to the ground" or something :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:26 am 
:lol: I dont know how bout the other people out there but first up 8kb/s on 512/128 is not 50%. Second of all i leave my upload on full after i finished getting the file for at least as many Mbs as i have downloaded.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:34 pm 
Never pass 100! (sorry, actually I have got a never before 133kbs the other night in the wee hours and had 9 seeds with no peer) Lucky to have 20-30. I have switched to ABC. It's much faster than the Shadow's Experimental 5.8.11. But the speed is still low compares to other peers.

One thing I want to point out is, base on my own experience,
"Your download speed is proportioned to your upload speed" is simply not truth.
:(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:54 pm 
a friend wrote:
Never pass 100! (sorry, actually I have got a never before 133kbs the other night in the wee hours and had 9 seeds with no peer) Lucky to have 20-30. I have switched to ABC. It's much faster than the Shadow's Experimental 5.8.11. But the speed is still low compares to other peers.

One thing I want to point out is, base on my own experience,
"Your download speed is proportioned to your upload speed" is simply not truth.
:(
Sorry Shadow. Didn't mean to spam about the ABC. To tell you the truth, I don't like ABC. I smell troubles with it. I don't trust it. Everytime I run Ad-aware and deleted some objects, ABC failed to run. I still have and run Shadow's 5.8.11.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:49 pm 
a friend wrote:
Sorry Shadow. Didn't mean to spam about the ABC. To tell you the truth, I don't like ABC. I smell troubles with it. I don't trust it. Everytime I run Ad-aware and deleted some objects, ABC failed to run. I still have and run Shadow's 5.8.11.

If you get adware/spyware and use something like Ad-aware to get rid of it, then sometimes you can disable the program that actually has the adware/spyware. In your case ABC. I had the same problem with Kazaa once. I ran a progie to get rid of all the crap that kazaa put on there and it disabled kazaa from working :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:20 pm 

ABC does not install or rely on spyware. If the version you had did, it was not one from their project page.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]