the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:44 am 
Hello
I wonder how Bittornado will work with a tracker which sends only new peers to the client. That is, tracker will never send the same peer address twice. Will bittornado "remember" all previously sent peers? or it depends on tracker sending peers with every announce?
Thanks for any information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:39 am 

The tracker sends a random selection of peers that have (hopefully) been determined to have open ports, and that have been seen recently enough that they are known to still be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:38 pm 
I know how it works (I hope:-) ), but I think about modifiyng a tracker in a way I described to save tracker bandwidth. It will send peers randomly, but will never send the same peer twice. For example if a client is connected long enough and has already received all peers connected to tracker, it will recieve only peers connected since last announce or nothing in the response to anounce. I just do not know if current clients esp. Bitttornado will work fine with such a tracker. In the original specification one can read only that tracker sends peers nothig more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:05 pm 

Beware, sometimes peers lose their connections, and with the optimization you're writing it might be difficult for them to get back in the swarm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:17 pm 
mmhh wouldn't the tracker have to remember wich other clients a client already knows? would save a bit of bandwith but would consume much more RAM and CPU for the database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:26 pm 
Yes, the tracker would have to remember more information. But often the bandwidth is the most important factor of tracker performance/cost, CPUs are really powerfull today and memory is cheaper and cheaper.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]