the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: New BT license
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:14 pm 

Quote:
# License has changed to the BitTorrent Open Source License

Does that mean Shadow can base his GUI client on the Bram Cohen's BT client?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:29 pm 

It means I could if I wanted to adopt his license. I really don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:47 pm 
He can, if he wants to.
The licence change does not change anything exept that you have to publish the source code of your modifications too, wich TheSHAD0W does anyway.

The new license is a bit more restrictive in that it is more like the GPL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:11 pm 

I'm sorry, I've just got to rant here. I still can't understand why Bram changed the license. A restrictive OSL really isn't appropriate for the Python codebase; Python doesn't play especially well with other languages, unless you don't mind packaging the VM into your product. Most products incorporating BitTorrent as a library have intelligently used libtorrent instead, which is C++ based and under a BSD license similar to BitTorrent's original license.

The only cases where the BT Python codebase has been reused is in some other open-source BT clients like G3, ABC and mine; Blizzard's downloader, which was admittedly stupid; some assholes who incorporated spyware into their distro, but who wouldn't pay attention to an OSL anyway; and some Chinese porters, who also don't care.

I suppose I could change licenses, but I think it's important for at least one good, experimental codebase to be as free as possible, and because of it I feel I have to break with Bram & company. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:50 pm 

Now i realise your Motives. Thanks for the Detailed response.

I agree Blizzard Downloader should be a bit better thought out. I tried to send in my suggestions but oh well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:03 pm 
SHADOW
I was looking at the new BT source code that Bram has on his website and it looked to me like some of your work was included in it (ie. your btdownloadcurses.py mod). So wouldn't that mean that your ALREADY publishing the source code of you mods with Bram's "library"? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:17 pm 

It's the reverse. He's re-publishing my code, but since I'm the original author I can maintain it as available under MIT as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:37 pm 
So does this mean we won't get a SHAD0Wised version of the pretty new 3.9.1 bittorrent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:11 am 

Are you really bothered by this at all? I know it means a different licensing and some possibly major changes, but is it something worth discussing or were you preparing to shift the license anyway?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]