the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:50 pm 
My friend and I are both on a torrent on a campus wide network, he and I go throught the same router, live litterally 15 feet from each other and still dont see each other on torrents after running them for days. My school limits the bandwidth that we get for P2P programs, but on campus is unlimited, it would speed up our downloads a ton if we could see each other. The same thing happens for iTunes, btu we found a program called "redevoui proxy" (only spelled correctly...) that connects all of us. Is there a similar thing for bit torrent? any help is appreciated.

Post subject: NATted network?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:43 pm 
I think there is a possiblilty that you are behind NAT - seeing that you are on a campus network. Do you get the green light, or the yellow light? If it's green, then you probably got a public routable IP address. If its yellow, you got a private, non-routable IP address, which is behind a NAT.

When you are behind a NAT, the IP address that the tracker sees is not the same as the one assigned to your computer. It is that of the gateway. When your friend connects to the tracker, the tracker sees 2 connections from the same IP.

When other clients request for more clients to connect to (either automatically, or by pressing the update tracker button), they will ignore duplicate IPs and the like (leech protection). Likewise, if your friend's client connects and sees its own IP (the gateway's IP), it will automatically ignore it. This is why your friend & you can't see each other.

I believe there is no easy way of telling BT that there are clients in the LAN and forcing them to connect to each other.

One solution I can think of is to set up a tracker within your campus, and have in-house BT. But an easier solution would probably be setting up a Direct Connect hub on campus, and telling your friends to connect to that hub.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]