the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ghost in the machine.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:50 am 

Hi all,

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone here can help. Basically what happens is my machine boots itself up. The machine is totally powered down and off, but the plugs are still on and from time to time it switches itself on.

I've run a virus scan with norton. I've cleaned the machine with ad-aware. A friend suggested I check the lan waking settings but I checked my bios and found nothing that said 'Lan waking'.

Any ideas why or what is making the system boot on its own? I've put a password on the machine now, being paranoid about hackers. Other than scanning for virus', one button clean up, and removing all detected spyware I don't know what to do. :(

Any help is appreciated. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:02 pm 

Check the settings for your network adapter, I've seen options for remote shutdown/restart available. It could also just be an electrical fault in your power button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:55 am 

I would clean the insides of that comp from head to toe if i were you. You might find a bug in your system (quite literaly).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]