the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:41 pm 
I desire to be a first class user of torrent files. I also want to express thanks to all of you out there that allow me to connect at speeds over 100kb from your IP. My problem is I can?t seem to get my uploads above 40 kb/s.

Here is my situation. I have found that while downloading files I reach my best speeds when I have my share rate set at ISDN/Dial up. While downloading I only reach speeds of 20 kb/s uploading. If I have my settings any higher I am unable to do anything else on my computer that requires bandwidth.

When I have completed the download I leave the torrent open. When I am not using the computer, (out of the house, sleep, watching TV) I set the upload to 500 kb/s. but it never gets above 40 Kb/s. What do I need to do to ensure everyone is maximizing the full potential of the bandwidth I have open?

Yes I am behind a firewall and all my ports are open. I always have a green status light.

Thanks,
Thunder

Want to share and move on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:53 am 

It seems like you are confusing downstream with upstream. On most cable/DSL providers, the upstream is severely capped to as little as 1/10th of the downstream. What kind of internet connection do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:43 am 
500Kb/s means that you have a 4MBit connection, right? And is it up- and downstream? So if your connection type is correct, here are some points to think of:
  1. The easiest thing to do is running more than one torrent at a time.
  2. You can also try increasing the "minimum number of peers" under prefs, advanced at the cost of system resources.
  3. Try increasing/decreasing the number of max uploads
  4. Try another firewall, some firewalls (and routers) can not handle the high traffic
  5. No system is perfect, that applies especially for p2p-systems. If you have a really fast connection compared to other peers, it will always be difficult to max out your connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:34 pm 
My speeds are 3mbs down and 256 up. I almost always, have one torrent open at a time. This is why I want to increase my upload speed after the download is complete. I want to be fair to the community. I want to max the 256 upload after the download is complete.

I can set the speeds to 256 upload but still never got a connection over 40 on the upload.

I will try playing with the other options you suggest. If it works out for me I will post back to share the knowledge.

Thunder,

Want to share and move on.
My Tevo missed survivor and I get bad info on the tracker? :>(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:48 pm 
thunder wrote:
My speeds are 3mbs down and 256 up. I almost always, have one torrent open at a time. This is why I want to increase my upload speed after the download is complete. I want to be fair to the community. I want to max the 256 upload after the download is complete.

I can set the speeds to 256 upload but still never got a connection over 40 on the upload.

256 does mean 256 kbit/second, while bittorent uses kByte/second as display unit. So you have to devide your numbers by 8. This gives you 375kByte/s downstream and 32kByte/s upstream (remember to use factor 1000 on transfer speeds, not 1024).

So you should never get over 32kB/s upstream; those additional 8kB/s are probably discarded at your router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:09 am 
I have the same problem. I cannot seem to upload at more than 40KB/s per torrent. I CAN however, have several torrents running with a combined upload speed over 40KB/s. What's up with THAT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:01 pm 

You can increase the number of simultaneous uploads. Beware, with the new disk read caching enabled this can use up more RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:07 pm 
I've already tried increasing the number of uploads. In fact, I've tried setting it to unlimited, with 0 for max upload (no limit), and 100 uploads. I have however broken the 50KB/s mark on a single torrent. I guess that's better than nothing. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:02 am 
Look at my first post point 2., increase the minimum number of peers.
And don't forget to limit you upload to about 80% of your max upload stream or it will saturate your connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:26 pm 
I've already got minpeers set to 50. I can't let it go any higher because once it hits 60 (seeds+peers), then BT hangs (infinite loop) and uses 100% CPU. Maybe this info can help weed that problem out (the 100% CPU problem).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:01 pm 
Try increasing Windows send window for faster uploads. I recommend at least 16kB.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]