the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:07 pm 
I currently download a lot of files using bittorrent, most of which other people in the house (6 students) want access to.

The way I see it (correct me if I'm wrong), the only options are to:
1) Wait for files to download, then share them across the network using any sharing protocol.
2)Set up a tracker on the LAN. If I then external announce to it, will it save my IP & port for the next person to get it when they external announce?

(1) Is what I currently do, but is not ideal as I can't share until bittorrent is finished. (2) I tried using BNBT with fairly crappy results.

What I'd prefer to do is to force a manual connect from one client to another using a local IP and port (much like the external announce in bittornado except to a client rather than a tracker). This then avoids requiring any other software to run at all. The question is, is there a client that can do this (I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but I'm a glass is half full kind of guy)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:22 pm 

Yes, doing an external announce to an open tracker on your LAN will cause the clients to cross-connect, but only if they don't already have a full slate of peers. There's really no benefit to using BitTorrent multiply behind a LAN, and I recommend you simply have one person download the file and then stick it in a shared directory for the other people to access. That way they don't even need to xfer it to their own computer, they can just watch it over the intranet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:16 am 

I believe Azureus now has a plugin that will let you manually add a peer to a torrent. Don't think that it's very integrated into the gui though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]