the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:01 pm 
Actually my team got this working today. but it is very unstable.

hehe it does work as told though. the UDP transfers are awsome :P

suggestion is to just wait till the thing get's a little more work from the beta stage.

-BoaR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:20 am 

UDP transfers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:01 pm 
DHT protocol is based on Kademlia protocols btw.

Kademlia uses UDP transfering, not the standard.

My team got this working a bit, but there are a boatload of initial bugs to stamp out. Just got the full source and we are going at it, T3x Style :P

S, if your interested, we all know how the system works for BT, and my group is actually the ones that were helping many many sites/resources to build trackers and tracker sources (worked on TB and TT sources) for the scene. Actually we went ahead and made out own source of trackers branch too. Now we are foarging straight into this new trackerless idea. It will, haha turn out brilliant I know.

If your interested in figuring some stuff out or yackin it up, just let me know!

-BoaR
Torrent3x.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:18 am 

See, I have a problem. I really shouldn't touch the source code for the official client, because it might potentially "contaminate" the BitTornado license. Someone in the future (and I doubt it'd be Bram) might decide to take someone who used BitTornado in their application to court, and I'd rather avoid that.

If you could come up with a specification for how it currently works, that'd be very helpful. It may change significantly in the next beta release, but then it'd just be a job of editing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:26 pm 
I'm not wholly certain about the significance of this feature in the Almighty Intellectual Property War. While not having a tracker site means there's not a central location that can be shut down to stop a torrent, you can still see who you're transmitting to and receiving from. The MPAA or whoever could get the IPs of the seeders and send out their usual array of lawsuits, just as before. Short of using a proxy in a country that doesn't give a damn about copyright law for your torrent connections, individual users are as vulnerable as ever while connected to a torrent.

People are making noises like this is an earth-shattering development, but I'm not really seeing it. For a truly secure file transfer, anonymous proxies would need to be involved to cover the IPs of the seeds and clients, and there'd need to be some kind of decentralized search engine to match. And even then, the information involved would need to be encrypted, or else someone taking over a proxy or putting up their own trojan horse proxy would have access to the data passing through it.

Removing the central vulnerability of a tracker is a necessary step in the process, but it doesn't really change the face of torrents on its own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:15 pm 

Who says it has anything to do with formenting piracy? Again, BitTorrent is meant for LEGITIMATE distribution. Removing the need for a tracker eliminates a potential chokepoint for distribution, when a content distributor might have problems getting one working or might receive so much demand that their server would be overloaded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:37 am 
My main hate for BitComet is that it supports stupid extension that got it banned from many trackers, and that it does not implement the protocol right with its stupid utf8 extension. All strings have to be utf8, according to the spec. BitComet uses the local encoding and has an additional utf8 key, which means that Chinese torrents will fail if the app that tries to use that torrent file tries to read a Chinese torrent and doesn't know that it should filter the torrent (take the value of path.utf8 and put it path). As for BitComet Tracker, that thing fails miserably.

As for DHT. Currently, there are two implementations:
- The Azureus one, which is most popular due to the millions that use it.
- The Official BitTorrent one.

Both have not released specs.

Azureus does use a ton more resources because the Java garbage collector sucks. I use it on a PIII 733 Mhz with 512 MiB of RAM, and I can still have a ton of Firefox tabs open, listen to music/watch video, have other Java apps open, visual studio, IRC. YOU MUST USE THE LATEST JAVA RUNTIME.

If you really got problems with Java and don't need a lot of features, you might want to try Arctic Torrent at http://www.int64.org/arctic.html.

Both AZ dudes and BC dudes, STOP spreading FUD. Both have issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:40 am 
Oops, wrong thread. Freaking tabs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:14 am 

Shad0w, if I get some free time, I'll look into writing up a pseudospec for the trackerless protocol, but no promises. I'd be basing it off of Azureus's implementation, since I know Java far better than I know Python.

I would suggest you just buckle down and learn Java though, it's really not that difficult, and there'd be less chance of my screwing something up. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:51 am 
Great idea for sharing among friend without going completely public with stuff. Would be nice for groups and families to send stuff to each other very cool. I do see that the need for tracker ones still when you are in need to have one open to the public. and posted so people can get at it, but this does have its uses good luck with it. will check back and see how the beta is testing out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2