the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:38 pm 
Sometimes I am on a torrent and there are only a handful slow peers and although I have set my max to say 80KB it only uses 20KB for upload.
Perhaps a option should be added to make it selectable for people to use the reserve uploadspeedmax set in options to upload regardless of the sharers.
This could be a altruistic gesture towards for instance files that modemusers are interested in who can't upload at a fast speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:03 pm 

Nothing can speed up the other users if they have slow connections.
The only thing YOU can do is upload to more peers (max uploads slider, different from upload rate slider)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:30 pm 
I can speed up my upload to their max, if they upload at a slow pace like 1/2KB I could still upload to them at their full 5/6KB that their 56K can support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:15 am 

And if they're getting from others on such slow connections, you can't fill out because they're already full.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:02 am 
Wwhaty wrote:
Sometimes I am on a torrent and there are only a handful slow peers and although I have set my max to say 80KB it only uses 20KB for upload.
Perhaps a option should be added to make it selectable for people to use the reserve uploadspeedmax set in options to upload regardless of the sharers.
This could be a altruistic gesture towards for instance files that modemusers are interested in who can't upload at a fast speed.

Go educate yourself on how BT works before wasting everyone's time with such a useless and impractical suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:13 am 
The problem is, many people are on overloaded connections because they try using unlimited or automatic setings (the defaults) for BitTorrent.

They're uploading too fast for their connection and are always choking, so they cannot download fast at the same time.

Your upload bandwidth will just sit idle while as much as 50% of all the data packets from their computers to others get dropped/destroyed by overload conditions.

Worse, their monthly UPLOAD bandwidth limits may quickly get exceeded despite less than 1/2 their uploads actually geting TO someone. :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:33 pm 
They always clog things up...they are the ones who cause failed hash checks, redundant data and just POOR performance in torrents.

Using BT with dial-up is like entering a moped into an F1 race...you'll just be in the way and cause a lot of accidents.

Anyway, it'd be faster to have a friend with a Decent connection download stuff for you, burn it to disk, and mail it around the world...I do A LOT of downloading for friends (they supply me with disks) I just don't do the whole mail thing...I hand it to them the next day.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]