the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: DHT a-la Azureus
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:32 am 
Does anybody knows about plans to add another distributed network a-la Azureus. Or improve current one to the level of Azureus one.

I'm not sure about internal technical differences, but from my experience they are quite different.

Mainline BT DHT implementation - the one BitTornado picked - targeted solely for trackerless torrents.

Azureus implementation on other side has bunch of other goodies - for example Azureus doesn't limit trackerless support to trackerless torrents, so if tracker is down Azureus can still located peers/seeds over DHT.

At momemt BoxTorrents tracker is down and BitTornado can download nothing, while Azureus has located bunch of peers/seed and started downloading.

It would be nice if BitTornado/mainline client would have a capability to download/upload even if torrent's tracker is - temporarily or permanently - down.

P.S. Azureus' magnet links is quite good feature too. Thou I haven't used it much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:29 am 

Until either specification is finalized, neither will be used in bittornado.

TheSHAD0W isn't too fond of the licensing changes made in the current mainline versions, so until a formal spec document is posted, he probably won't be using the mainline DHT protocol.

Quote:
Azureus implementation on other side has bunch of other goodies - for example Azureus doesn't limit trackerless support to trackerless torrents, so if tracker is down Azureus can still located peers/seeds over DHT.
Because of BitTornado's support for multitracker, it could implement either system and use DHT as a bottom-tier tracker (below all tiers in a torrent, see the multitracker spec on the bittornado main page).

Quote:
It would be nice if BitTornado/mainline client would have a capability to download/upload even if torrent's tracker is - temporarily or permanently - down.
Assuming the peers were obtained before the tracker went down, both can already do this. BitTornado can also failover to other trackers if the torrent has an announce-list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:47 pm 
DWKnight wrote:
Until either specification is finalized, neither will be used in bittornado.

Gosh. I've missed that bit.
It would be nice if in the end mailline BT & Azureus DHTs will be able to co-operate.

Thou, seeing amount of people using exclusively Azureus, I think they can afford to fork. 2/3 to 3/4 of connected clients I normally are all Azureus 2.x. It's hard to beleive so much people would use such bloatware.

BitTornado could definitely use some more advertisement ;-)

It fits my requirements perfectly. Thou I wish wxPython (and wxWind0ze) supported Mac OS X better. <gui-rants>I wish more people knew how much better Objective C compared to C++ suited for event drive applications like GUI - but still most toolkits choose to mimic M$ Wind0ze API. One month of programming GUI for Mac OS X with Cocoa is breath of fresh air after 5 years of stinking Wind0ze GUIs.</gui-rants>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]