the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:38 pm 
BitTornado and most other BitTorrent clients use up so much Windows cache/memory, and often times crash the computer.... which client is best for using up the least amount of cache/memory??

This is a major problem, thats why I want to get the client with the best ability to conserve memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:14 am 
Having the same issues myself.

I have 2g of memory and don't understand why I am always getting a bluescreen/mem dump. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:48 pm 
http://www.utorrent.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:32 pm 
so have you actually used uTorrent, and can you comment on it?

or are you just trying to advertise for them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:18 pm 
What are you? stupid? Why don't you just click on link and learn more about it? It's only merely 83kb to download and play with it. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:25 pm 
are you stupid? or simply obnoxious, if i ask the guy a question theres no need for you to jump into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:10 am 

.... Couldnt it be the same person... all I see are quests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:08 pm 

A few things to keep in mind:
- If you run multiple torrents, the first thing to do to cut down on memory usage is to either use a client that supports multiple downloads or use one of the command line versions (anything based on wxPython will generally use around 20MB or so of memory per App instance)

- Python tends to have some issues involving leaking memory -- I found that it does help to manually call Python's garbage collection routines on an occasional basis (ABC does it whenever a torrent stops)

As for myself I use ABC. I've never really used any other client that supports multiple downloads -- went looking to see what was out there around the point when ABC was one of the few clients out there that supported multiple downloads and have been using it ever since. (tried it, like it, became a developer)

Given the larger number of options out there, I'd suggest trying a few and see which you like best.

That being said, ABC 3.1 will likely be out this weekend if you want to give it a try (among other things it does have improved memory/cpu usage vs. previous versions) If you don't want to wait that long, 3.1 release candidate 4 is pretty close to the final version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:46 am 
Thanx TimTucker - Will try out the new version :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:42 pm 
i use bitcomet on my 64MB laptop and it doesnt use up too much memory. much better than utorrent (which contrary to what some ppl say is a real memory hog) and bittorrent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:29 pm 
The only problem I had with Auzerous is that it pre-allocates the space on your hard drive for the file it downloads (I believe this was the reason I didn't like it)

As for bittornado it only uses up hard drive space (the download) when the actual data is downloaded.

That's why I like bittornado the best. But yeah, if you have 6+ uploads allowed for each instance of bittornado and you have maybe 3 or 4 bittorent downloads going, it will eat up your computer no matter what.

Its a memory intensive operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:33 pm 
hawk wrote:
The only problem I had with Auzerous is that it pre-allocates the space on your hard drive for the file it downloads (I believe this was the reason I didn't like it)

Not that I use it myself but I believe you can implement incremental file sizes on it (though I assume as soon as you download a piece at the end of a file it will make the file full-size).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:09 pm 
to the "guest" using bitcomet on the laptop with 64MB i have been using utorrent since it came out and it peaks on mem usage at about 3MB....and thats on full tilt.
do you even know how much mem bitcomet uses... i don't, but i just finished downloading it and will find out soon.
i personally think 3MB is alot more preferable than the 20MB azureus uses.
which incidentally is due to the fact that it is run by java. aka... mem hog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:43 pm 
http://www.utorrent.com/ is very good it does have to be said. Currently I've got 2 torrents stopped and 1 torrent downloading and its using around 2,500 kb. As far as i can see its got all the functions of bit tornado.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:08 pm 
YUa but utorrent only works on windows. What about Linux users (i love bittornado for command line work)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next