the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:25 pm 
this topic is for anyone who is experiencing slow download speeds, and has forwarded all their ports, configured upload speed etc. And yet you still are getting low dowload speeds with bittorrent meanwhile when downloading something with say ur browser for instance you get way higher dl speeds. Well Ill tell you why...i used to have trouble with my download speed until i figured out that bittorrent works on a credit system (this is what trackers are for) the more u upload the faster you can download in other words leave your torrents open after you dowload them, you will find that your download speed will increase as you upload more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:11 am 
actually the trackers only are there to tell the peers who to connect to. peers figure out for themselves who to upload to. but you're right, the "credit system" is indeed how bittorrent works, the faster you upload the faster you download :-)

leaving your torrents open after you download won't help your download speed (you've already downloaded everything!) but if everybody did it then those still downloading would download faster. a share ratio of > 1 is always what you should be aiming for.

Post subject: say i left....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:52 am 
say i left mine open afterwards and let ppl dl from it the next thing i dl from will it go faster?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:02 pm 
I noticed that my dl is around 5kBs and up at 10kBs.when my share ratio goes up, i dl faster, then when it goes back down under one, my connection sufferes untill the ratio goes back up, right?

Post subject: Re: say i left....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:28 am 
guest wrote:
say i left mine open afterwards and let ppl dl from it the next thing i dl from will it go faster?

No, it works on a per-torrent basis. But leaving it open will let other people download faster, who may then return the favour.

Guest wrote:
I noticed that my dl is around 5kBs and up at 10kBs.when my share ratio goes up, i dl faster, then when it goes back down under one, my connection sufferes untill the ratio goes back up, right?

The ratio is there for your information only, it is not passed on to other peers for them to make decisions on. But peers are in general more likely to upload to you if you are uploading to them at a faster rate. Look in the advanced window and you'll notice that BT will favour uploading to clients that it's downloading the fastest from.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]