the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Burst! comparison?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:49 am 
How does the latest Bit Tornado compare to the latest 1.1.1 burst! core which itself is apparently based on the official 3.4.2 core?!

What I mean is, are there any advantages to using Bit Tornado as opposed to burst! other than cosmetic stuff in the GUI?

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:06 am 

It used to be that burst! was based on a shad0w enhanced core.

Right now the following features (that I know for sure) are missing from the current burst.

Multiple Tracker defined torrents (announce-list metadata extension, allows for failover and load balancing with multiple trackers)
Webseed defined torrents (httpseed metatdata extension, allows for a properly configured webserver to supplement a BT swarm)

The latest BitTornado contains ALL the enhancements from the latest official 3.4.2 (as far as I know) so right now you're most likely to actually have reduced functionality if you change to burst from bittornado (from what I have seen).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:29 pm 
Hi DW thanks for the reply.

Interesting stuff. I'm actually using burst! now and looking for a reason to change over to Tornado, but don't mind having BOTH of course (if there's no conflicts) other than which app fires up via the file association. :)

Apparently 'super seed' is not supported officially now, but is in Tornado? presumably that's to make file sharing more beneficial for the swarm as a whole (if not seeding initially)?

One thing I have noticed with Tornado, is that the initial hash-check seems to take much longer than burst! 1.1.1 does.

Also, burst! doesn't 'set aside' hard drive space like Tornado does even though it will warn you if there isn't going to be enough hard drive space at start-up.

I prefer the GUI in Tornado.

Just want to get the best client, but then don't we all? :)

Good that they're both free anyway that's the most important thing.

Thanks Shad0w and krypt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:32 pm 

Superseed mode is also missing from burst, since it originated out of the shad0w core and has not found its way to BT official yet, but is not recommended beyond either the initial seed base or a reseeder. (I had forgotten about this).

BitTornado's disk space reservation method is customizable in the advanced preferences. If I remember right, it does not preallocate space at all by default.

Having both installed may prove to be a problem, depending on the way the file associations differ in the registry.

The initial hash check probably takes longer in tornado because tornado defaults to double-check instead of only single.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:57 pm 
Hi again.

Yes, the latest burst! has had superseed capability removed.

Looks like I may have found a bug in the 0.2 client then because the 'disk allocation' setting in the Advanced preferences is set to 'normal' BUT it still pre-allocated ALL of the d/l space in Windows for a torrent I tried earlier which only had about 1% previously d/led.

Thanks for the info about the double hash checking, and yes, that does make sense.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:17 pm 
I take that back about the pre-allocation 'bug'.

It's quite possible that I accidentally clicked the 'finish allocation' button before, not knowing (at the time) what it was there for!

Sorry.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]