the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Seeding???
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:54 am 
I'm new to torrents. I'm still groping my way around trying to learn how they work. I don't fully undersrtand how seeding works yet.

I'm beginning to plot on making a few things available that do not seem to be in the torrent network. The sets of files are large enough that I cannot reliably make them available to others in the usual way. The largest would take close to 100 hours or more if sent at my max upload speed to one location and much longer if several were trying to download them. Do I have to host the seeding or is there another way to make these files available?
FF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:55 am 
You need to create a .torrent file using the files you want to share (look for maketorrent as a good example) and you need access to a tracker so that peers can get the ip address of other peers. (you can either set one up yourself or find a public one).

Once you've created your torrent for the tracker and files, simply open the .torrent file in bittorrent and select where you have your original files. bittorrent will scan them, realise they're complete and start to seed. if you're the original seeder I suggest you turn on super seeding as it more efficiently sends out pieces to clients.

Once your client is seeding, distribute the .torrent file and wait for people to connect to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:24 am 

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/51.html

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]