the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:32 am 
Hi can anyone tell me how I can hide my IP address?

Ive heard that everytime you download something an email or some sort of notification is sent somewhere (your ISP I imagine) giving your IP address and therefore letting them know you are downloading illegaly.

Doe's anyone know how to stop this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:16 am 
Yep, don't download anything illegally.

Seriously though, your IP can be recorded for anything you do on the internet, that's just how it works. If you're really desperate for anonymity, read up on Tor, I2P and others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:00 pm 
If you wish to hide your IP address (to a certain degree) while browsing then use an annoymous proxy server. However, whilst this while 'mask' your IP....it's still more than possible to trace you back if someone wants to do so....but let's face it....would someone want too?

As for hiding your IP via P2P - let's dispel one myth first. How would an ISP be able to tell what data (packets) contain illegal data? simply....they can't make that distinction. They can of course monitor sites visited and they could tell what kind of traffic is passing through your connection (tho they cant distinguish between legal and illegal).

So, based on that......and the millions of people using P2P - the chances of you being caught....are slim.

If you really want to try and mask what you are doing, then get a shell account and run everything from there. But of course....there is always a trail back to you.....but someone REALLY has to want to track you, and lets face it mate, in the grand scheme of things your not that important to authorities.

If you live in the states then of course the RIAA etc have a vested interest in tracking folk down....again....chances of you being caught unless your downloading GB's a day?....slim.

But use something called Peer Guardian to stop your client from connecting to known 'bad' IP ranges.

Basically though, theres no concrete way of covering your tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:55 pm 
Put simply, when you connect to the internet...it connects back to you!

ISPs in many countries are required BY LAW to track what websites you visit, though they can only give that information to someone via something like a search warrent. (Though the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. act in the US means 'authorities' need less than a search warrent to read where you're surfing.)

MPAA and RIAA 'bust' someone downloading via torrents by actually connecting to that torrent and then connecting to that 'someone' to verify they're actually in that torrent. After that, it's just a paper trail...and not always a legal one...that they use to threaten a massive civil fine. But now at least they have to get a court order even to force your ISP to give them your name...all they know at first is an ip address. BTW, being simply firewalled won't matter against this -- they aren't so they can connect to those that are.

Peer Guardian 2 with the latest blocklists offers at least some protection against RIAA, MPAA, BSA, and other questionable companies searches.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]