the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: - speed N peers theory..
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:24 pm 
hello all!,
i'v started thinking on a 'bug?'.. help me out here!
well, since every p2p program like shadow's bitornado, burst, and so on are using different ports, settings and all.. (but the same torrent files) i suppose that every software has it's own "community" of people??
let's say 300 people downloading "abc.torrent":
200 people are using burst!
100 people are using bitornado

burst! users will have more speed?? or is it true that the p2p software doesn't matter?? i don't know how this thing works but thats what seems reasonable to me anyway..
so what u think?? anyone knows whats true? (and why!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:26 am 
All bittorrent clients are using the same bittorrent protocol specifications, the implementation may vary, but basically you can use any client you want. Every client should connect to any other client.

Post subject: ok.. but
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:26 pm 
but what about "special treatment" for some clients like more speed, chunks.. i dunno.. i wonder if it's possible for a bittorent client to have "special privileges" just for his own specific software (like some mods of EMULE that works faster!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:00 pm 
A client could identify other clients through the peer_id, but you can also fake such an id.
If you want to allow only specific users to access a torrent, you can do this easily with the tracker. There are already trackers out there that you have to register before you can download anything.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]