the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:55 pm 
was wondering what the best version bit tornado to use

can anybody reccomend

thnx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:02 pm 
The newest version of course, the experimental version works fine if that’s what you're asking about. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:10 pm 
Dark_ Shroud wrote:
The newest version of course, the experimental version works fine if that’s what you're asking about. :)

thnx i will give it a try.....

was using 0.38 at last count then gave utorrent a try impressed with it's low resources etc but found it a bit restrictive. any way back to BT :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:10 pm 
NONE. USE AZUERUES, UT, or BITCOMET. they are so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:30 am 

0.3.7 does the job for me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:33 am 
Anonymous wrote:
NONE. USE AZUERUES, UT, or BITCOMET. they are so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azureus (this is how it is spelled) is a resource hog. BitComet is total garbage and here's why:

It hamers the tracker, and pays no attention to the tracker when it tells the client how long to wait before re-announce.

when it gets snubed by another peer (basically meaning the peer refuses to give the BC client any upload because it has not been given any download from the BC client, the BC client then disconnects up to 10+ times per second to that client in an attempt to get unsnubed.

It has no (working) upload slot limit, so it makes the upload bandwith so streached out that each peer only gets a few 100 bytes per second or less.

The new encrypt header feature in BC 0.60 gave it a very unfair advantage and would basically prefer itself over uploading to other tpyes of clients. (afaik, uTorrent is working on a similar feature, but will be making it public information, so that all other clients can implement it if their authours wish to; this is the only real way for this to be effective)

If you request too many pieces from it (something around 100? or so), it drops ALL your requests.

It also abuses super-seeding by disconnecting and reconnecting to get a slot, and basically monopolize the super-seeder's bandwidth.

It has an abusive multi-tracker implementation (announces to all trackers in all tier always).

It also does stupid things when making torrents (such as not use UTF-8 as the encoding for chinese, japanese, and korean users that make torrents)

The truth of the matter is, BitComet is faster, because it makes ALL other clients slow by the reasons i listed and more; the whole BitTorrent community would be a lot better off if everyone banned BitComet.

And as a final note, the BitComet developers have known about this issue for months now, and are only now just releaseing BC 0.61 which still does have some very minor DHT leak bugs, and crashes on many systems.

And to any n00bs out there who think you can hack the client (or use spoofing patchs) to get it to work, don't come crying to the rest of us when your account is disabled at private trackers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:16 pm 
Yeah, BitComet is to be avoided.

Azureus and utorrent both are good community software that are actively being developed.

Personally, I chose utorrent. It's tiny and fast and has all the features I want. Azureus runs on more platforms (thanks java) but is more memory intensive (thanks java).

And I still use bittornado on my headless box.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]