the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: encryption
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:01 pm 
Okay firstly, Azureus is bloated and a memory hog and has alot of pretty complicated and seemingly useless features. It's written in JAVA, i don't expect it to be fast or to be streamlined (and no offence to the team of people who develope the C/C++ torrent clients, but i garuntee you that if your program is taking up memory is because you FORGOT to use the FREE command!).

But Azureus does have 2 things right DHT, and encryption.

But you have to know what these are before they make any sense. DHT, a database of clients to help when a tracker is down is the super simple explination. And yes private trackers ban them, because you have to register on the website before you can download that content. That's especially prevalent on adult torrent sites. Big deal, go register! If you wanted the content you'd register anyway. I think it's perfect cause i'll be damned if boxtorrents can keep up their server long enough for me to finish a download.

Secondly encryption. Firstly, it does work, i live on a college campus with packeteer. If you don't know what packeteer is, well, we'll just say that if i don't use encryption i get 0 transfer speed. I turn on encryption and wow all my bandwidth is back (no surprise?). As for processor power, i garuntee you're not using your processor to the max unless your computer is more than 7 years old. You're not going to notice encryption anyway and as for overhead, it's no worse than the bloat that bittorrent has anyway, if anything the biggest change needs to be made to the main protocal. And if you torrent you're probably on broadband and your NIC has it's own side data processor which is going to do most of the work anyway.

The reason i'm here is to push for other torrent clients to follow in azureus and u torrents steps and standardize encryption formats. I'm tired of only being able to download from azureus 2.4 clients. Bitcomet is in the works, i've heard rumors than even the standard client will support RC4 encryption. So hurry up and everyone follow along and we'll all torrent alot faster.

HAIL AZUREUS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:16 pm 
Let me add some information to your comments.

That RC-4 stream encryption in Azureus was a joint venture between Azureus & µTorrent. So µTorrent 1.5 and earlier betas have it aswell. Also BitComet 0.63 released yesterday uses this new encryption. So you have more choices that just Azureus. :)

Read about it at Wikipedia.[/u]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]