the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yellow light with DG834G
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:23 pm 
I have tried to make all the changes to fix this but I have ran out of ideas.

Info: I HAVE...
-a static IP in XP. 192.168.2
-forwarded port 5000-8000 in Inbound Services" to 192.168.0.2.
-disabled "Router as DHCP server".
-disabled the XP firewall.
-set the TCP/IP properties to:

IP-address: 192.168.0.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Standard-gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS server: 192.168.0.1

Any ideas anyone? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:59 pm 
Forgot to mention that the maximum speed achieved is around 13kB/s...
...and that pretty much sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:40 pm 
Haven't seen a guide for this particular router yet so here goes: (please note that 'the user has a bit of knowledge' is assumed)

First, turn off DHCP and reserve an IP address for the PC that you wish to use BT on:

The DG834(G) uses a web interface for configuration. The default IP address of the router itself is 192.168.0.1

The default username is: admin (i have not found a way to change this yet)

The default password is: password (change it asap when you first log on)

Once logged on, you will be presented with a 'webpage' consisting of 3 Frames.

The 1st frame is a list of links to all the things you can configure. The 2nd Frame is the main configuration area where you will type in what you want to change. The 3rd frame is the help frame which has some nice helpfull hints for each feature. It is interesting enough to warrant a read for the 'noob' user.

This router uses Port forwarding as opposed to port triggering (http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/5799 this is the difference)

The router has a number of pre-defined services (list of ports) for specific functions, however, you will need to create a new service for Bit Torrent and then add that service as a rule to the firewall.

For a newly configured router, the firwall will, by default, have ALL OUTbound services set to 'ALLOW' and all INbound services set to 'BLOCK'. This configuration is fine for a clean network without any Trojans etc but if you want to be pedantic, you can set a service/rule to Block all outbound services as well and then set overide rules to allow ports that you know your programs will need (e.g. port 80 for HTTP).

Now, for a newly configured router (of this model) with no firewall rules yet set, the only ports you need to open for Bit Torrent are INBOUND PORTS starting from port 6881 to 6XXX depending on how many simultaneous downloads you want to have going. (not sure if it's downloads or client instances someone can clear up please?)

OK to forward these ports, you need to first create a service:

On the left hand frame, under the heading 'Security' you will see the word 'Services' Click on it and it will change the middle frame to the services page. Click 'Add Custom Service'.

For Name, call it what you like (BTINPORTS might be a useful name)
Type is TCP only (BT does not use UDP ports)
Start port is 6881
Finish port is anything from 6882 to 6999, the choice is yours.

When done, click Apply and it will update the services table with your newly created service.

Next you have to add the service to the firewall as a rule:

On the left hand frame under 'Security', click on 'Firewall Rules'. Under the INBOUND services section, click on 'Add'. This will take you to the inbound services page where you can select which service you want to bind to the rule.

For Service, scroll down the list and choose the (e.g. BTINPORTS) rule that you just created.
Action is 'ALLOW always' (can get more technical but thats beyond the scope of this rant)
Send to LAN Server is the IP address of the machine you wish to use BT on.
WAN Users is 'ANY'
Log can be set to 'ALWAYS' just so you know whats using the ports.

Once done, click Apply and et voila, your inbound service is now a firewall rule to forward all ports in range 6881 - 6XXX to your particular PC.

Note, it's late and im buzzing on Cola and 'other stuff' so this might seem highly incoherent. This guide is for setting up an Inbound Port forwarding rule for Bit Torrent only. It is NOT a trouble shooting guide. What I can say is that if you have configured the LAN settings properly on the Router and the PC, you will have no trouble getting a green light if the above inbound ports are forwarded to your PC.

This is my first rant on these forums but i've browsed them a while. Any questions, post and I'll see what I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:49 pm 
Quote:
Info: I HAVE...
-a static IP in XP. 192.168.2
-forwarded port 5000-8000 in Inbound Services" to 192.168.0.2.
-disabled "Router as DHCP server".

BTW 'Guest' it could be that,

a) You have not reserved 192.168.0.2 for your device on the router itself (The IP addrress/Device Name/MAC Address of the PC should be listed in the 'Address Reservation' table in LAN IP Setup.

b) I have no idea what those forwarded ports do but BT only needs 6881 - 6XXX inbound.

c) You have firewall rules that override the ones you setup for BT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:37 am 
I have done everything you wrote but reserved 196.168.0.2 on the router.
Will try that as soon as I get home. Hope it works
Thanks! :)

PS. I hope ya'll understood that "-a static IP in XP. 192.168.2 " was a typo. The IP is of course 192.168.0.2. DS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:17 am 
I reserved 192.168.0.2 under Lan Ip Setup.
Still yellow light... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:06 am 
If you forward ports in your router, ensure that they match with the settings in bittornado. Also check to enable the newly created firewall rule.

You can test your setup here: http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl. Also compare the IP on that page with the Internet IP shown at your router status page. If they are different, your ISP may be using a transparent proxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:58 am 
I usually have to wait about 5 minutes to get a green light as it connects to all peers/seeds. Like Punisher said, make sure that you have the ports in BT set to the ones that you have forwarded on the router.

Also, check the IP address of your PC, (in XP, Start->Run, type in CMD then ipconfig at the prompt and it will tell you your IP on the PC you are currently on) Make sure that this IP address is the same as the one you have reserved on the router for this particular PC. Although, if you have disabled DHCP and configured TCP/IP in windows, I can't see it being different :)

Whats your LAN setup? Just the router+1PC or have you more PC's connected?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:10 am 
Is it a good idea to make a rule that opens all ports, just when I changing stuff and then if I get it to work, change the rule to the appropiate ports?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]