the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:45 pm 

All of the ports are open, 6881-6999.
USR8054 Wireless Turbo Access Point and Router.

With the previous versions of your bittorrent client I would be able to get green lights all the time. However running your latest offering, I am stuck at these yellow lights. I will still have 80 peers and more, but my bandwidth is still stuck at the ratio'd upload speed.

Any ideas why I still get a yellow light and 50KBps on 81peers and 9 seeds? 350KBps downstream 80KBps upstream, router set properly, dhcp, etc etc. Must I use static ip and forward these packets solely to this machine? That is pretty poor if you ask me.

Last edited by norseman on Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:12 pm 

Figured out how to fix this, courtesy USR Support staff!

Set one computer as a DMZ, and have network activity through it.
Disable DHCP and give each computer a static IP. (make sure the faster NIC / computer is the DMZ host.

Works like a charm now. Unsure if both computers can use Bittorrent properly in this mode. Will update later!

Note: this configuration should work for most routers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:52 am 

Enabling DMZ is not a good thing, first you have just opened all the ports so hacker can get in very easily. They have even warned you that this is only a temporary solution. DMZ also slows down your built in 100mb switch to only 10mbit or so. files that are 200mb that took me 10 sec to transfer from one computer to another, took me 1 min instead! This is also true for any router such as 2wire, speed reduced to 5mbit instead, when put in DMZ mode, yuck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:25 am 

Really? I am not too familiar with DMZ. So now my whole network is vulnerable, or just my DMZ host? I will research DMZ more, however it seems that the router is still dropping 'bad' packets and preventing unwanted connections.

DMZ Hosting (Demilitarized Zone)

DMZ Hosting allows one user to be exposed to the Internet, bypassing the Router's firewall security while the rest of the network remains protected.

The DMZ feature exposes a single PC outside the firewall. If you are trying to run video-conferencing or programs that require 10 ports or more to be opened, use the DMZ feature.

Well shit, hehe... I might as well portforward 6881 as a service to my internal ip. DMZ makes me very vulnerable. Port triggering didn't work right for some reason, never got a green light. If I forwarded 6882 to my other computer would it then get green lights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:14 am 

norseman wrote:
If I forwarded 6882 to my other computer would it then get green lights?

It should as long as you have Shadow's client set to listen on only that port on that computer. If you plan on doing more than one torrent download on your other computer at the same time and want them all to be green, you'll need to open more than one port for the other computer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]