the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:26 pm 
Hi there,

I have a wireless netgear dg834g router with a laptop connected with wireless card and desktop connected with cat 5 cable.

I have set up both machines with static ip's and firewall rules to allow ports 6881-6999 on tcp and udp.

The problem is that only the laptop can receive the incoming connections on these ports.

The firewall rules section look identical for both. The only difference lies under the UPnP page on the router setup page - only the laptops ip address is displayed. (there is only option to turn UPnP on or off, no individual ip settings available)

I have checked under "connected devices" to make sure ip addresses are correct and they are.

Is there any reason why the desktop is still having connections blocked?

I have set up xp pro for workgroup accessing internet through local gateway which i set as the routers ip.

Internet and everyting alse works fine it is just the incoming connections on these ports for desktop that are being blocked despite the firewall rules.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

I look forward to hearing from you.

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:13 am 

A block of ports can only be forwarded to one machine. Change the port range for your desktop in Prefs to one separate from the laptop's and forward that block of ports to the desktop.

Post subject: It worked! But...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:20 pm 
Thanks for your reply shadow, i disabled the rule for the laptop and the light went green.

If i splitt the ports from say 6881-6900 on laptop and 6910-6999 on desktop will that not slow down my download speeds?

Thanks for your help

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:21 pm 

BitTorrent only uses one server port per download (and future versions will use one port for several downloads). The port range simply specifies where the client searches for an available port.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:10 pm 
Hi Shadow,

Thanks for getting back to me. I still need a little more help!

I am only getting 2k d/l speed with green light and 28 peers.

I am on 2meg dsl and can get up to 200k usually on some torrents on my laptop.

I used the natcheck.pl to test the ports and it could connect on port 6881 but failed on every other port that i tried. I think the slow download is due to it being on port 6969.

I re-checked the firewall rules and the are for ports 6881-6999 so i am baffled why only 6881 works.

Can you shed any light on this? I really appreciate all this help you are giving me.

Thanks,

G

Post subject: Zone alarm conflict
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:29 pm 
I realised after reading a few of your forums that the zonealarm v5 is making this error. I uninstalled and now all appears to work well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:33 pm 
OK so im still getting the problem after uninstalling zonealarm. natcheck.pl still says all ports apart from 6881 are blocked.

Anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:37 pm 

Re-read my earlier post. If you're only running one instance of BitTorrent, naturally you'll only get a response on one port.

Post subject: *boggle*
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:11 pm 
sorry to keep pestering you but does that mean if a tracker is on port 6969 i can d/l it on port 6881?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:39 pm 

That's where the tracker runs its server port. That's separate from where you run yours, or where anyone runs theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:37 am 
Ok, i get you. But im still getting a problem where im d/l at 5k on my desktop but the same torrent will d/l at 150k on my laptop.

And some torrents will have 0k upload on desktop!

Any ideas whats still going wrong?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]