the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:37 am 
How can I get some decent download speed (I'd be happy with a consistent 20KB/s)??

I'm running 0.3.2 (before that, 0.3.1) BitTornado on a current Gentoo linux system with a 1MB/256KB DSL connection and typically only am capable of downloading at 1-2KB/s. Although, I have on rare occassions - 3 times in 3 months - received download speeds up to 90KB/s. This occasional speed breakthrough only confuses me even more! And, believe me, I think I have tried every 'Settings' combination available - they really do not seem to make much difference.

And, of course, the yellow light is always on.

My firewall/router setup is a different linux box (RH9) which is connected to a simple DSL modem. In trying to get some speed and kill the yellow light, I have tried turning my iptables "completely off" and forward everything:
Code:
# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

This makes no difference for BitTornado - still super slow and glowing yellow. I should point out that html, ftp, irc, etc, all work fine and fast with this setup.

I've gone to http://all-nettools.com and the other proxy checking website and they say I do not have a proxy of any kind. They show my proper IP address. I've gone to http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl and it shows my proper IP address, but does give me the big bold 'Fail!'.

When I look at the 'Advanced' window's information, I always only see 'L'/local connections and never see 'R'/remote connections.

So, the BitTornado signs point to a proxy problem, but all 3 proxy checking websites say that is not even an issue.

What gives?? It is as if the BitTornado client is not turning on "remote connection listening". Is there a seperate command to do this that I am unaware of? Do I have to turn this on as a service somehow?

Since I am not an iptables/firewall guru, I keep questioning it. But in just trying to make it as simple as possible by accepting everything and forwarding everything - and with other internet services working fine - I don't see how it could be causing any problems. Just in case, and to get me from stop looking at it as a cause of the problems, here are the actual commands:
Code:
iptables --flush
iptables --table nat --flush
iptables --delete-chain
iptables --table nat --delete-chain

iptables --policy INPUT       ACCEPT
iptables --policy OUTPUT      ACCEPT
iptables --policy FORWARD     ACCEPT

iptables -t nat --policy PREROUTING  ACCEPT
iptables -t nat --policy OUTPUT      ACCEPT
iptables -t nat --policy POSTROUTING ACCEPT

iptables -t mangle --policy PREROUTING  ACCEPT
iptables -t mangle --policy OUTPUT      ACCEPT

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth1 -j MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Any iptables gurus let me know if this is a problem.

From scanning this forum, the yellow light (and it's alias, super slow download speed) really seems to be a mystery and a works-for-me-doesn't-work-for-me (on all OSes too) kind of thing. Can somebody, anybody, figure this puppy out and give us the straight dope?

I almost do not want to bring this up, because I really do not see how it could make any difference, but I am located in Asia, typically half a world away from my peers.

Any insights, info, etc, much appreciated.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]