the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:31 am 
Well, the subject is pretty much self-explanatory. I tried enabling Port Triggering on my BEFSR41 router as-per the instructions on this forum.. but my BT clients are always showing yellow and getting craptastic download speeds. I'm not behind a proxy, and have no software firewall installed on my computer.

Any ideas? I've also tried regular Port Forwarding, but that did not work either. Note that I -was- getting green lights earlier, but after my sibling closed the clients (complaining that the computer was slow), everytime thereafter it's always yellow, even when I let the client sit there for a few hours.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:26 am 

Try forwarding a port using your router's instructions (or enabling port triggering, whichever you choose). Then start a bittorrent download on the port range you have set to forward to your machine. While it is in progress, visit http://www.grc.com. Click "Shields up!" then scroll down to the "Hot Spots" section and click "ShieldsUp!" After reading their disclaimer, click "Proceed." In the text box, type the port range you have forwarded for bittorrent. So if your port range is 6881 to 6889, type:
6881-6889
in the text box then click "User specified custom port probe."

If you did this with your ports properly forwarded it should have no problems connecting to your bittorrent port(s) while it is in progress. If grc.com is having no problems connecting to your bittorrent ports yet all the torrents you try to download are always yellow no matter how many peers there are on the torrent, it may possibly mean your ISP uses a transparent web proxy that proxies your bittorrent tracker connections which causes trackers to not be able to see your computer's real IP address and therefore causes other peers to not be able to connect to you as a result of not knowing your real IP address. http://www.all-nettools.com/pr.htm might be able to tell you if you are behind a transparent web proxy or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:33 pm 
Alright. I reset the modem, did port triggering, opened a BT with the ports specified, but the Shields Up! says that all my ports are closed. Also for each port it says "Unknown protocol/application for this port"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:34 pm 
Hum.. can't edit post as a guest.. also I checked for a transparent proxy, and that is not the case either. The test came back negative.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]