the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: connection checker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:55 am 

A very smart friend of mine wrote a PHP script for me that you folks may find useful for testing purposes. To use it, grab this torrent:

http://bittornado.com/connection-checker.torrent

Running this torrent will ALWAYS return an error -- but the error message will tell you whether your port is open or whether you're behind a transparent web proxy.

(Edited) As a note, if you are behind a transparent proxy, some older trackers won't be able to discover your true IP and may cause you to run in firewalled mode. The transparent proxy may or may not provide your true IP in the HTTP headers; the test code will try and sniff it out (like a modern tracker would) and continue testing.

(Edited again) Some transparent proxies apparently don't change the HTTP headers and are therefore undetectable, and will just show as a firewalling problem. You can check for this situation by running this torrent:
<torrent deleted>
** This torrent doesn't work right now.

Update: Fixed a bug in that always reported NAT conditions depending on client version. Hopefully. Also, the "Local IP" parameter is not longer accepted and must be blank before use.

Update: This has been broken for some time, but is now working again.

Last edited by TheSHAD0W on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:55 am 
Thanks for the file.

If I can suggest, maybe you could post some more information and solutions.

For example, mine returned as "Transparent proxy detected, but I can still connect to you. Adequate." Is this good or bad? If bad, how can I retify it to make it better? Does it also mean that my ports are closed?

A FAQ sticky would help a lot of people here. Just my two cents worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:09 am 

"I can connect to you. Perfect score." for me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:23 am 

hmm. It seems to be caching results if I test with ports open, then test again 10 to 15 minutes later with ports closed. It still claims "I can connect to you. Perfect score." when I am 100% sure my ports are closed off (and UPnP is not enabled on my router).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:02 am 

My friend was working on it and broke it temporarily. Try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:10 am 
Works for me.

Message if not firewalled/NAT'ed: "I can connect to you. Perfect score."
Message if firewalled/NAT'ed: "NAT check failed. Check for firewalls or port forwarding."
Message with wrong "Local IP": NAT check failed to overrided IP address. Check for firewalls or port forwarding."

People with transparent proxies can provide their current WAN IP through bittornado, advanced preferences "Local IP". If they still get the last error message above, means, that there is still a firewall/port forwarding issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:12 am 

Note that many trackers currently ignore the "Local IP" for security reasons. This is being changed though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:27 am 
Ok. Ive read everything open port forwarding I have 6881-6999 TCP forwarded to my IP from my router I click enable and all that stuff... I keep getting yellow light though Ive disabled my built in firewall on my router, and the WinXP firewall.. Ive tried the NATCheck but it says it cant conect to my comps IP... which is why iam getting the yellow light on Bittornado. whats wrong ive disabled everything and it still wont work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:38 pm 

Some ISPs block the standard bittorrent port range. So try a random port range outside of 6881-6999 and see if that works.

Post subject: Tracker
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:00 pm 
I tried the test torrent, and got the following:

Problem connecting to tracker - HTTP Error -1:

I was stuck on the black light for 30 minutes before that trying to download. I'm on a work computer, so proxies/firewalls could definitely be an issue.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:59 pm 

I find that HTTP error -1 generally means that the other side closed the connection rudely without sending any data at all (no HTTP headers even). I doubt that was the problem in this case. No one else has mentioned this problem. Something's off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:28 am 
i ran the test but i didnt get any error message... the download was completed what does that mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:43 am 

wuming wrote:
i ran the test but i didnt get any error message... the download was completed what does that mean?

How long did you leave the window open?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:51 pm 
i used this torrent, but all i got was "trouble accessing files - [Errno 13] Permission denied
what does this mean.
also, i used bittorrent instead of bittornado. will this affect anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:37 pm 
tried the test again.. and this time i got the error msg "rejected by tracker nat check failed check for firewalls or port forwarding". but i already forwarded my ports and the status light is green.. what is wrong??

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next