the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:40 pm 

If you've been having problems getting a green light, the reason may be that your computer is or was infected with malware and your Windows proxy settings have been changed!

Some malware programs have been noted to change HTTP proxy settings to route all web requests through a remote server, that allows the people behind the malware to spy on your web browsing. If you've been having problems with getting a green light, either constantly or if you seem to be behind a transparent proxy, you should check and make sure you don't have any odd proxy settings in place.

To check proxy settings, open Control Panel/Internet Options, Connections tab. You'll need to check the Settings for any Dial-up/VPN entries in the list on that tab, and also click the LAN Settings button to check for a proxy server there. Note that your ISP may require the use of a proxy server, so the presence of a proxy server entry isn't necessarily malevolent. Check with your ISP if you find anything there.

If you do find a suspicious proxy entry on your computer, I recommend you install and run Spybot: Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org). Note that Spybot may not remove the proxy settings even if it removes the malware, so you may have to clear the proxy settings manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:17 pm 
Thank you very, very much! I installed spybot, deleted all the spyware/whatever they were from my computer, immunized it, and I just tried out Bit Tornado. No more yellow light! And I'm finally downloading at a decent speed.

Again, thank you very much! ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:27 pm 
Ahh, sorry for the double post but I do have a question and maybe you could help?

I scanned my computer a couple times back to back just to see if SpyBot missed something, and everytime, I delete DSO Exploit but it just keeps coming back. Have any insight on that?

And, should I delete Linksynergy? I thought it might have something to do with LinkSys, the company that made my router... so I don't know if I should get rid of that.

Thanks for your time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:54 pm 

Trash it, trash it, trash it, trash it!

Boot into safe mode and trash it if you have to. Google for what refuses to go away and see if there's some trick to it.

I'm glad I don't have to put up with stuff like this. How do you manage?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:51 pm 
Here's some info on the DSO exploit:

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cgi-bin/ya ... 1082096807

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:52 pm 
ah got the yellow icon also.. ran spybot and detected a "DSO Exploit" entry, thanks a lot for the headsup i was beginning to wonder why my downloads were going 5kb/s with 0 downloaders and 12+ seeders 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:09 am 
i get a yellow light but after about 3-5 minutes it goes green, is this an indication of a malware exploit or just the torrent/my pc.

also i keep losing my connection ie. my download/upload goes to 0 and i lose connection to a webpage. (my other pc thats on the same network stays on the net)

is this something to do with malware? just some questions while i wait for this Spybot to download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:44 pm 
Hey Link...

The problem your having is something similar to what was disussed in another post on this site... its a 3 way problem with bit torrent, the new security patch by windows and zone alarm 5

I believe the exact name of that post is "Windows Update Patch #kb840374 causing problems?"

I think most ppl were able to solve the problem ur having by unistalling both zone alarm and the KB840374 critical patch.

In regards to the yellow light and green light....

If at first when u start and u see a yellow light don't worry about that... at it means is that you haven't got an incomming connection just yet... but with the amount of ppl on bit torrent yo should get an incomming connection within minutes if not seconds... and once u do the light will change to green. IF that doesn't happen that means ur behind a firewall and haven't configured it for bit torrent.

Thats all...

Good Luck

-=OC=-
http://www.rbua.org/board[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:59 pm 
funny thing is i never had zone alarm 5 installed, had zone alarm pro 7 or something a while ago but took that off. it was annoying to do cos it still stayed in the windows registry, a quick regedit later and it was still there like an annoying fly.

its gone now (i hope it is anyway). as is the update patch. never gonna run windows update ever agen now, put me right off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:26 am 
i have nothing in my connection tab settings. i had DSO exploit before. But after i reformat my comp, i didn't get any since then.

For bit torrent, i still get the yellow, but it turns green after a while. but some torrent just stays yellow for some reason. i don't know whats going on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:45 am 
sait0u wrote:
i have nothing in my connection tab settings. i had DSO exploit before. But after i reformat my comp, i didn't get any since then.

For bit torrent, i still get the yellow, but it turns green after a while. but some torrent just stays yellow for some reason. i don't know whats going on

For me i thought it was the DSO, i did get rid of it but that wasnt the problem, I recently installed a router (LANing) and i enabled ports 6881-99 that seemed to get rid of my Yellow problem, but it kept freezing for some reason... i uninstalled Zone Alarm 5 and poof no problems

seems to me there can be many reason for each error i guess it was a matter of time that all 3 problems were connected with each other

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:03 pm 
If you have new.net remove it THROUGH THE CONTROL PANEL i lost my 'net by letting spbot mess with my winsock :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:14 am 
man .. i love u !! .. well things really got missed the past few days .. i tried everything .. but i read ur topic by mistake and guess what it solved my problem .. thanks alot man really thank u.. >> kissses :lol:

Post subject: haha!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:25 am 
I have been going through the forums and I have found one possible reason for bittorent to be running how it is. I have no firewall or malware. There is one thing thought when I set up the static ip the light went from yellow to red. :P Weee! It?s been fun going through these forums for two and a half hours. Is a static ip needed? If so I need to know all parts of the ip setup from lan network setup to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties. I looked in the forum and used the Internet protocol to set up the static ip, but I assume it didn't agree with? some? other ip jargon. I just realized this is asking a lot but it would be appreciated if it is even necessary. :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:02 pm 
Well i did the whole < spybot, static IP, Port Forwarding thing > the only thing i have not done is change my DHCP to my static IP address yet. I was going to remove the security patch KB840374 but it told me alot of programs might not work properly if i deleted it so i didnt bother. Im not one to ususally give up on a challenge and love this stuff but i think for me i might end up screwing up alot of stuff.
Also can someone tell me why when i try to change my routers settings by going to the default address most times i cant get through, it just says opening page 192.168.1.1 and never loads the setup screen, i keep trying, sometimes i get through other times i dont. I have the same linksys router < BEFSR41 Ver 3 >

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next