the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:55 pm 
I've opened my ports for BT :) but I'm worried about the security implications of this? My BT ports are frequently scanned, even when I'm not using BT.

What's the risk in having the ports open all the time? What's the point of having a firewall if I've got to punch big holes in it for various P2P apps?

Cheers Renners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:57 pm 

An open port alone does not a security hole make; if it did, then you couldn't chance opening any ports for any problems. Opening your NETBIOS port would be foolhardy, but opening ports in a high port range where you'd only expect a particular server app you're familiar with to be operating is reasonably safe.

As for BitTorrent's security, it is potentially possible for there to be a DoS attack against the client (sending malformed data causing the client program to crash, for instance). A true exploit, which would allow someone to run malicious code on your computer, is highly unlikely due to Python's dynamic memory allocation. (Buffer overrun attacks don't work if you don't know where in memory the buffer is.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:26 am 
thanx for the reply. I'll keep the ports open but I'll also be watching those port scans closely!

Cheers, Renners

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]