the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:34 pm 

Um...

BitTornado does not have a working UPnP access system yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:48 pm 
New to the site, new to bittornado, but a longtime user of S-5.8.11.

First off, I have the settings in virual server set from the instructions at portforward.com and i was topping out over 200k/s on such things as seasons of SouthPark and Bowling for Columbine. Can anyone say DEFINITIVELY if the method mentioned at the beginning of this thread gets better results than what I'm getting now?

Also, is there any change to make with this new BitTornado with respect to the trigger port? I'm assuming there isn't.

Thx in advance for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:57 pm 

There's nothing new, no. As for performance, it can vary all over the place, depending on the torrent's state. People with firewalled connections will sometimes get wonderful downloads, and people with open ports will sometimes get lousy downloads. Having an open port makes things work better, though. http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:40 pm 
I should correct my post. The settings I had in place before tweaking the router firewall were in applications, not in virtual server.

One thing I am finding about this BitTornado is that (and this is PURELY speculative) it makes the client a little more honest about their download. One of my last downloads w/ the old client was a DivX rip of Bowling for Columbine. For a 642+MB file I completed the download in a little over 1 hour, and by that time about 140MB of the file had been uploaded.

At the moment I'm downloading The Boondock Saints (those of you who don't know this movie: watch it), and my U/D is currently 38up and 80 down. Has anyone noticed this about their usage w/ bittornado as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:32 am 
i think i changed the ip to connect to my router!! how do i check whats the new ip of my router??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:53 pm 

Help.

Yellow light still. Driving me crazy.

Here's my situation:

Dlink 624 router
Windows XP home
Bit Torrent 0.2.0

-- Confirmed that XP firewall is off

-- Have no software firewall installed

-- Configured Dlink router with ports configured using instructions on Dlink website specifically for Bit Torrent.
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?p ... it+torrent

-- Read PortForward.com website instructions
http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di-624.htm

-- Reinstalled Bit Tornado client twice

-- Reset router and updated to latest firmware

-- Confirmed that my router settings look like Whirly's in his above post

I have read through this entire thread as well as many other forums as well as the faqs.

I am testing right now with a popular file which has 18 peers and 6 seeds. The light is yellow. My speeds are 10kB/s download and 39kB/s upload. My settings are defaults with the speed set to Cable/DSL fast. I have a cable modem which tests consistently > 3mB/s download.

I just tried to allow all traffic applying DMZ to my PC and I still get yellow light! Thoughts?

Could the torrent I am testing with have anything to do with it? i.e. could downloading one file be green and another file be yellow?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated greatly. I have spent a lot of time on this. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:29 pm 

If you DMZ'd yourself on your router and disabled the software firewall and still can't get anything but yellow lights, then something external to your computer and external to your router may be firewalling you OR your ISP uses a transparent proxy and the tracker(s) you just so happen to be contacting are on the same port the ISP proxies (usually port 80) and the tracker can't see your real IP. Visit your router's status page and look at the "WAN" IP. Does that IP match what www.whatismyip.com says? If the IP that www.whatismyip.com says differs from what your router says your WAN IP is, it could indicate your ISP is transparently proxying your port 80 requests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:55 pm 

That is exactly what is happening.

My whatismyip.com address is 68.895.67.42

My computer static ip is 192.168.0.101 where my router is 192.168.0.1

When I check out my WAN settings on the router I get:

WAN
MAC Address 00-0D-88-80-B0-C8
Connection DHCP Client Connected
IP Address 192.168.102.100
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.102.1

Is there any way to fix this? Does anyone else have Time Warner cable in New York City?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:15 pm 

A WAN IP on the router itself of 192.168.something indicates your dlink router is behind yet another NAT router which could very well be your cable or DSL modem. Could you post what brand/model the cable/dsl modem is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:45 am 

My cable modem from Time Warner NYC is:

Toshiba PCX1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:16 am 

Toshiba's spec page on that cable modem doesn't say it supports NAT. You'll have to contact your ISP and ask them what kind of setup they have that is giving you private (192.168.*) IP ranges and ask them how you can open or forward some ports through whatever setup they have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:54 am 

Okay. Figured out a little bit more here...

First off, the WAN mystery is solved. It was my Vonage VOIP adapter that was causing the problem. I switched to Vonage a few weeks ago and they supply you with a motorola voip box that connects between your cable modem and your router. This was causing the difference between whatismyip.com and the ip that i was getting in my routers WAN settings. I have disconnected the Vonage VOIP device to troubleshoot this further...

Cool.

Now, I am back to the same issue with my Dlink 624. I have just tested with the DMZ active for my local pc and I get the green light!

[edit]
Green light go! It was the f*#king Vonage adapter! Thanks for your help. Now if only I knew where to find some torrents.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:08 pm 
omfg thank you i love all of you! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:53 am 

mhernie wrote:
First off, the WAN mystery is solved. It was my Vonage VOIP adapter that was causing the problem. I switched to Vonage a few weeks ago and they supply you with a motorola voip box that connects between your cable modem and your router. This was causing the difference between whatismyip.com and the ip that i was getting in my routers WAN settings. I have disconnected the Vonage VOIP device to troubleshoot this further........

I have Vonage and my Cisco VoIP ATM is plugged into my router ... works great. If the Motorola ATM requires installation in front of the router then ask for a Cisco.

However, this can ba a problem if you try to make a phone call while downloading. I've found that reception is fantastic no matter what you are doing but if your Upload speed is set to more than 15KBPS, your voice will sound like chit to the person on the other end and if it goes over 25Kbps then they may not hear you at all.

It may be that the Motorola sets itself up as High Priority and sucks up whatever bandwidth it needs leaving everyone behind it with whatever is left over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:11 pm 
I can't even access the interface!!!! :shock:

anyone kno how to fix this?

it says bad gateway or something like that

(i'm using D-link 604)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next