the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: D-Link DI-624 Router
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:24 pm 
:idea: I have a D-Link DI624 which I have finally figured out how to open the ports on. So I figured I'd share my info with the world:

1) Open the user interface (usually http://192.168.0.1)
2) Click on the Advanced Tab
3) Click on the Firewall button in the left hand column
4) Now we are going to make a new Firewall Rule:
a) click on the Enable button which will put a dot in the circle
b) In the Name box type Bit Torrent so you know later what this is for
c) For Action click on Allow
d) Source - Interface = WAN and IP Range = *
e) Destination - Interface = LAN; IP Range = either * or your local IP Address (192.168.0.xxx); Protocol = *; and Port Range = 6881-6999
f) Schedule = Always
5) Click Apply[/b]

That should do it. Now before I did this the highest download I could get was 80KBps and my light seldom went green. Now I get as much as 240 KBps and my lights go green shortly after starting my torrents. :wink:

Post subject: DI-604 Troubles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:02 am 
I've got a DI-604 spliting a cable modem two ways. I've tried the same fix as was posted above (D-Link's website describes that method as being for numerous models, including the 624 and 604). Unfortunately, my download times are abominable (usually 1-2 k/s, rarely over 5) and only very rarely do I see green. The other computer is running 3.4.1 and rarely sees speeds above 3 k/s

My computer is running XP Home (sadly), but to my knowledge I haven't activated anything in the way of windows firewalls etc.

Any advice would be welcome.

Post subject: can u post some pics?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:16 pm 
yo post a pic of you thing all filled in plz thanx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:02 pm 

Here you go:

And I have also set up a Special Application - Port Trigger entry:

I'm not sure this second entry is necessary but as you can see the 2 Router entries give me a Green Light in BitTornado: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:30 pm 

BTW - I tried the Virtual Server settings outlined at portforward.com ... doing that gummed up the works really good. Fortunately, because I had backed up my router settings before screwing with it, I was able to get back to the previous configuration without having to reset them back to default.

LESSON ... Back-up Your Router Configuration BEFORE messing with it!!

EDIT:

There is nothing wrong with the information on portforward.com.

I have a bad habit of trying too many things at the same time.

Please see my post below
:oops: [/i]

Last edited by whirly on Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: but...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:47 am 
what do i do if my ip isn't constant, meaning it changes every now and then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:29 pm 

Thanks for the tip, Guest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:47 pm 

whirly wrote:
BTW - I tried the Virtual Server settings outlined at portforward.com ... doing that gummed up the works really good. Fortunately, because I had backed up my router settings before screwing with it, I was able to get back to the previous configuration without having to reset them back to default.

LESSON ... Back-up Your Router Configuration BEFORE messing with it!!

Yes! Always backup your router config before messing with it, when given the chance. For port forwarding stuff you can almost always get back into your router and remove the settings you created. Anyways first off I wanted to thank you. Everytime I find someone having problems with my port forwarding walkthroughs I try to fix the issue <grin>. In this case your router will only allow you to forward ports one at a time. The virtual server setting was not the best route to go, with such a large range of ports to forward. The special application method should/did I assume work much better. I also haven't included any <or much> firewalling information on my site. I'm planning on creating a specific website dealing only with firewalls pretty soon. I would love more information as to what actually happened when your router was gummed up. If there is a problem with a guide on my site, I would love to know what it was! You can send information www.portforward.com/comments.cgi or just post to the forum. Thanks for your time!

-dclark
portforward.com

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:27 am 
ty for posting those screen shots whirly, i also tryed the d-link webiste to set up the firewall but kept getting yellow lights and also tryed setting up a static ip... the Special Application port set up worked for me!

Thx again

Post subject: wow
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:44 pm 
I followed the above pics and all I can say is holy-crap. I got a HUMONGOUS increase in speed (~200kbs compared to about 10 kbs before).

Post subject: portforwrd.com
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:53 am 

dclark -

The problem ACTUALLY was operator error. Of course I didn't figure it out until AFTER the post you mentioned.

There is nothing wrong with the information on portforward.com.

I have a bad habit of trying too many things at the same time.

I apologize for any actual or perceived slight on your site. If it wasn't for your site I would have been TOTALLY in the dark.
:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:31 am 

No problem at all whirly. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misleading the end users. I know there are some errors on my site, but I try hard to catch them when I can. Thanks for the reply, and information!

-dclark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:26 am 
u can actually put one IP address, ie
192.168.0.XXX into DMZ and get that one computer working at green light for BT. That way no port forwarding setting is needed. But beware and always have a second firewall just in case.

Post subject: Re: DI-604 Troubles
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:39 pm 
Maric wrote:
I've got a DI-604 spliting a cable modem two ways. I've tried the same fix as was posted above (D-Link's website describes that method as being for numerous models, including the 624 and 604). Unfortunately, my download times are abominable (usually 1-2 k/s, rarely over 5) and only very rarely do I see green. The other computer is running 3.4.1 and rarely sees speeds above 3 k/s

My computer is running XP Home (sadly), but to my knowledge I haven't activated anything in the way of windows firewalls etc.

Any advice would be welcome.

One option would be to enable DMZ which also allows BT to run optimally... :D
[192.168.0.1 --> Advanced --> DMZ --> Click Enabled. Enter computer's internal IP Address.]

However, this setting will make your computer 100% vulnerable to outside attacks, so be sure to run a personal firewall. :?

//Zreddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:11 am 
I see a setting in BitTornado 0.1.4 that saves you the trouble of having to deal with this altogether.
In the source scripts, adding the switch --upnp_nat_access 1
will have BitTornado negotiate with your D-Link, provided you have enabled UPnP (it is enabled by default). It should work with other UPnP compliant NATs as well.

On the DI-624, this setting is in:
1. Tools (top)
2. Misc. (Left menu)
3. UPNP Settings (4th setting on the page) Make sure this is set to enabled, as per factory settings.

Note that you do not have to supply an external IP to BitTornado anymore, and you can still change the port range if you so desire.
Also, you do not have to resort to such horribly unsecure measures as DMZ either.

Thanks BitTornado team!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next