the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:27 pm 
I'm on cable with Netgear wgt624 wifi/cat router with NAT and SPI. I have Norton Personal Firewall installed. I have ports 6881-6999 forwarded and see no major problems - u/d speed is ok. The NPF has to be configured for btdownloadgui.exe obviously to let in the requests forwarded from the router.

But when I close a bt window, how do I keep requests from banging on NPF? Since the packets are not looking for the bt downloader specifically, NPF doesn't know what they are for, so the illegal access windows just keep popping up, and I see no way to set a rule there that I can easily change.

For now I just switch the forwarding access on the router to UDP instead of TCP after I close a window since I know bt doesn't use UDP, so it just stops forwarding from there. Can anyone think of a quick and easy solution?

Post subject: Duh
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:44 am 
Nevermind... I just saw that I had the ports set to forward instead of trigger. A tip for anyone running software firewall with NAT... make sure the ports are triggered and not forwarded, or else bt connections will keep banging on your firewall, even after the app is closed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]