the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:51 pm 

hello,

i am behind router and under winXP, i am sure i have NO software firewall enabled (including the XP built-in one).

i have also done my port forwarding in the router configs (only allows me to have 40 ports opened at one time so i config my BTclient to use only 6881-6910).

everything was fine (always green light) when i was under win98se and untill recently i had a new comp and started to use xp.

the problem is... sometimes i get yellow light from DLing some torrents and other times i get green while DLing from other torrents. as this never happened when i used 98se.

please help.... and my router is "Planet - XRT-401" and forget about DMZ because it didnt make any difference to me.

thx in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:51 pm 

This may indicate your ISP is using a transparent http proxy. Check and see if the tracker URLs for the affected torrents have a port specified. (For instance, http://my.tracker.com:6969/announce -- port = 6969.) If the affected torrents all don't specify a port, then a transparent proxy is probably the culprit.

Currently there is no way to fix this problem on the client end. Experimental code to repair the problem on the tracker end has been developed, but that tracker must be running said code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:43 am 

if its the ISP's fault, then why didnt i experience any problems when i was under win98 ??

and also i have other friends who are using the same ISP, but they didnt experience any problems either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:32 pm 

I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:19 am 
Hi Shadow

Thanks man! You helped me fix a problem with your explanation above. There was a bunch of torrents I was trying to download from one release group, which I was always firewalled on. The tracker didn't have a port number, so it was defaulting to port 80.

Posted your explanation in their forums, and was told to try to modify the torrent to change the tracker to include port 6969 (they also had this one open, but their downloads are on using the default port 80 tracker). Anyways, did that and it worked like a charm, from 1-4kB to 60kB :)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:48 am 
sorry quick question .. u mentioned modifying a torrent to add a port 6969 right? how do u do that? i'm having similar problems.. oh and weirdly, i'll be downloading 2 files.. one file will have all Local connections... and the other would have all remote connections.. reallly weird.. anyone noe why? thankz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:22 am 
YOu need a software called make torrent, google it. Once you install it, you can view/edit the torrent, type :6969 into the URL for the tracker and save it. After that open the torrent in bit tornado and away you go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:41 pm 

Also note that this will only work if the tracker is working on a different port. Unless it's listening there, you won't be able to contact it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:22 am 
But how about php-based trackers, like PHPBT? I got a weird torrent that has PHPBT as a tracker. It has a tracker URL which looks something like http://tracker.com/track/tracker.php/announce. I can't seem to get any remote connections when I'm on this torrent. I suppose adding a port number to the tracker URL wouldn't fix anything? (I got a funny feeling that it will make the tracker unreachable; the 6969 port on this server seems closed)

I wonder if this has anything to do with the "Nat checking is disabled." disclaimer on the torrent download page...I'm on a NAT (yes, I've opened the 6881, etc ports :)), and this feature, as said by DeHackEd, does the following:

Quote:
"Clients will only be given IP addresses of clients with forwarded ports. In theory, you should be able to connect to each peer on the list."

BTW, about the transparent http proxy thing, I've found that because the proxy acts as a "messager" between the user's pc and the internet, the proxy is sometimes mistaken as the user's pc, and its IP address is used instead. (For example, as I'm behind one of this proxies, when I visit places like www.whatsmyip.com, the ip returned is my proxy's, not mine. Another example - when I use the NATcheck on btfaq.com (http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl), I always fail the test.)

Wrongly(?) configured trackers would be unable to detect the actual IP address of the user, and thus the user does not get remote connections. For these trackers, I found that manually inputting my IP fixes the problem. (Though your mileage may vary. I can't seem to fix this torrent on this PHPBT tracker.)

I'll try to download from another PHPBT tracker and see if I get the same results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:50 pm 
Seems like I'm unable to connect to most PHPBT trackers. It believe its is because of the "NAT tracking is disabled" warning. Will try PHPBT out on my webserver one of these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:50 pm 
The mysterious yellow light always puzzles me. Sometimes it turns green, sometimes it stays yellow. Anyway, here's what I generally do in that situation:

1) Check my "winipcfg" and the router config. Make sure I'm routing ports to the right IP address.

2) If the above checks out I assume it's just a flaky swarm. Something about it my system doesn't like.

3) If I have multiple torrents running and they are all giving me yellow, I generally assume it's my system. In this case, if I reset my computer 2 or 3 times it'll usually start working again.

Even with a freshly booted system, I can still only count on about half the torrents coming up with a green light within a minute or two. If it doesn't come up within a couple minutes it never will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:13 am 

well, one thing that i discovered is that i always get green light when i DL anime, but other times its usually yellow......

perhaps its the tracker or connection method of something like that................

Post subject: Yellow / Green lights
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:37 pm 
I know you said that your XP firewall was turned off, but I had a problem doing that which may relate to your situation. There is an option to turn off the XP firewall under the control panel settings, but I found that did NOT disable the firewall. I had to go into the "add/remove programs", "add/remove windows components" and actually remove the firewall software from XP in order to disable the firewall. Once it is installed, it doen't want to give up. Give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:52 am 

Thx, but....... if XP firewall is still on, why do i get green light when i DL anime ???????

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:31 am 
if the XP firewall is disabled, and your computer has no firewall, is this dangerous, as people can access your computer easier and authories can see also

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next