the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: FW
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:25 am 
Yablos wrote:
Firewall is only for n00bs and paranoic pplz.
FW is usefull after clean installation OS, when u really cant know which bullshits are made by instalator and how are things cofigured. After this period you really dont need it

Who is the n00b here? I guess it's you :lol: .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:06 pm 
Hi, I've got the yellow light problem. I have a DSL dynamic IP adress ISP, using a NetGear Wireless router.
I tried portforwarding Bittorrents ports, in the router. (Don't recall em could you verify?)
Any suggestions on what to do next.
I use an anti Spyware program called AD-aware. I don't use any spooky programs or anything.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:20 pm 
Yablos wrote:
FW is usefull after clean installation OS, when u really cant know which bullshits are made by instalator and how are things cofigured. After this period you really dont need it

Seems to me like your need of a firewall depends on what you put on your computer. The most valuible information on my comp right now is precicely what I'm downloading - a season of DvD quality Slayers (Woo!). If, however, I was buying stuff offa E-Bay, I wouldn't touch this internet without a sturdy firewall both in my router and on my computer.

So, no. "Paranoic pplz" do have good reason to worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:11 am 
Simply configure the firewall instead of maintianing this out of the box mentality that allot of americans have, unless your going to sit down and learn how to use a piec of software, you have no right commenting on how it 'doesnt' work for 'you' seeing as 'you' are too lazy to configure it, too bloody right you should have difficultys in downloading, SERVES you right for falling into that age old trap, somputers need configuring, software needs configuring, so configure them and you wont have problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:27 am 
I have a yellow light all the time, i have a router, but i usually get download speeds close to 100kb/s and upload 125kb/s (upload is always faster for me)

btw, even if you uncheck the xp firewall thing, it stays on, you cant "fully" disable it. A nice thing m$ implemented

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:43 pm 
I always get the yellow light. I have a cable connection, but my ISP gives me a private IP address so the ISP must be using a NAT. Since I can't do anything about that NAT, does this means that users with private IP addresses are basically screwed when using BT?

Another thing I've noticed is that when I use BT, I know the program is listening through the 6881 port, but the established connections use other ports, for example, 1748 on my side and 6881 on the foreign side. Is this normal?

Post subject: Re: yellows no firewalls
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:56 pm 
where do i open ports 6881-6999 and or ports 7045-7050 at?

Post subject: Re: FW
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:02 am 
Yablos wrote:

----

You're an idiot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:55 am 
I have a constant YELLOW icon for all working D/L's. I have configured Norton FW to allow all BT progs. I have a D-Link ADSDL router with built in Firewall - how do I configure this to get GREEN?

Very much appreciate any help on this .... thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:40 pm 
i use rogers lite high speed (canadian) and bt downloads are veeerrrry slow. any idea on how to boost up speed?

Post subject: Tried and tried...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:51 am 
I've tried and tried to configure my windows firewall and it says ports 6881-6889 are open but still I get a poor share rating (usually around 0.575) and terrible download speeds (5KB/s anyone?). Any help is appreciated. I tried that tyhing that tells you if your ports are 'working' and it said fail every time. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:38 pm 
i have a yellow light all the time but i can still download things. why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:10 pm 
The guy that said "firewall is only for n00bs" is an idiot, and is plain wrong. And incidentally, so is the original poster for recommending that people uninstall their software firewalls and plug their computers directly into the modem.

You just don't put a production box directly to the Internet. Even if you're 100% sure you don't have any exposed services at all (which is way out of league for anyone inexperienced enough to be needing the guy's tutorial in the first place), you still have protocol stack bugs to consider, kernel bugs, etc. You don't plug a production box directly to the Internet without something in between, at the very least a software firewall and ideally that plus a standalone firewall.

It is irresponsable - to say the least - to be recommending to anyone that they disable their firewalls and plug their computers directly to the net, more so when the people who are targeted by this recommendation are just about inexperienced enough (and desperate to download the latest Paris p0rn or whatnot) to do it. You're helping the armies of zombiefied computers increase in number, you're harming your own users by telling them to leave their computers unprotected.

Have you any idea how long it takes on average for an out-of-the-box Windows XP computer to get infected by some worm or the likes after you plug it to the Internet? Well let's just say it's measured in seconds (and yes that means it's under a minute).

Instead of telling people to irrationaly expose their computer to damage for the sake of getting a few more Kb/s out of some warez download, you should be telling them how to configure their firewalls to allow port forwarding. Really, it's not rocket science, and it the concept's been around for far far longer than BitTornado or BitTorrent.

And by the way, the guy that said firewalls can stop viruses is an idiot too. So now a firewall prevents an exe from writing to another exe? Or from playing with your screen, or infecting your mbr, hell even from formatting your partitions? And a firewall can stop hackers? You need to know what a hacker is first, before thinking you need to be stoping them from anything. A hacker is not a criminal. A hacker is someone who excels at something, e.g. programming, networking, etc. Don't confuse crackers and wannabe spoiled brats that download some tool and click on the little red button that says "0wn teh l0053r" without even knowing how it works.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:04 am 
Ok, as the subject says, my version of ZoneAlarm (ZoneAlrm Personal v5.5.094.0000) is messing with me. When I let it run at startup, and then run BitTornado after, I get a yellow light. BUT, if I am running BitTornado first, THEN ZoneAlarm, the light is yellow for a bit, then turns green. Is it just me going crazy, or just an anomoly in one or both of these programs I have stumbled across?

Any help would b much appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:45 am 
some guy on the 1st page pointed this page out:

http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

click the 'advanced' button in bit tornado and check what port it's listening on. Input this port number into that website, then click 'details' in bit torrent. Copy and paste the hash number into the site, then click 'run test now!'. If you fail, you need to forward the listening port.

I just did it after struggling with a constant yellow light and it went straight to green after doing this.[/url]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next