the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:15 am 
I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router and I've managed to forward the ports both in the router and in BitTornado. I've used the connection checker and it says it can connect to me, perfect score. I've tried the NAT check and it also says that the port is open. No firewalls are up, and the ones that are have been opened for BitTorrent. I have a green light but there's just one problem:

THE SPEED WON'T NUDGE ABOVE 20kB/s!

I just DON'T understand the problem! I have a cable modem and so I doubt it's my internet's fault. Before, when I was fiddling with the ports and such, it would shoot to somewhere around 100kB/s and then just completely drop back down to the twenties! Now it just completely REFUSES to get up to a decent speed! I just don't understand how to configure anything to make the speed even a teensy bit faster.

Please, PLEASE help if you can possibly do ANYTHING. If you need any further information or screenshots, I'd be willing to share them. I'm desperate to fix this, because I've spent so much time trying to get it to a green light, and it's completely pointless because the speed is so incredibly slow.

If ANYONE can help me with this, I'd be extremely appreciative. Thanks ahead of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:40 pm 
wow, i have the exact same problem. i've got a LinkSYS BEFW11S4 router and i forwarded the ports and everything. all of the connection checkers work and says its open. i have the green light but my speeds only go about 25 kb/s. i don't understand the problem..... any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:22 pm 
Same router here! I REALLY hope someone can help out with this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:44 am 
I've got a BEFSR41/11/U31 and I've got the same problem. I just fixed the yello light and now it went from a top speed of 15 k/s at yellow to a top speed of 20 k/s at green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:26 am 
I'm the above guest. I just "fixed" the problem. What I did was set the upload speed to 10 k/s max. I saw my download speed soar but I wonder if when my sharing ratio drops will I see repercussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:09 pm 
I'd really like to try that. Could you explain how to change the upload speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:24 pm 
If you're using BitTornado there should be a scroll menu on the front GUI on the buttom left that's called "setting for". If you click on the menu it lets you choose which connection you're on. When you choose your connection, next to it you can choose the exact maximum upload speed. In my case I chose "DSL/cable slow" and upload rate of 10 kb/s. Anything higher seems to bring down my download speed. Maybe you have a different connection speed so try playing around with the upload setting and see if it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:53 am 
The solution to this problems is simple. All u hav 2 do is click on advanced. In the bottom right corner, u see an option for the max download speed. Set this to the download speed u require and off you go, your down speed should pickup nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:52 am 

Guest wrote:
The solution to this problems is simple. All u hav 2 do is click on advanced. In the bottom right corner, u see an option for the max download speed. Set this to the download speed u require and off you go, your down speed should pickup nicely.

err, that setting is only for LIMITING download speed - downloads won't go any faster if you change it from zero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:51 pm 
I got the same problem. Green light, dl shoot up to 100 kbs for a few sec, then goes back down to 10, and never came back up. :cry: . Tried all the suggestion, nothing work. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:10 pm 
I have the same router, anyone have any info?

Post subject: i have a DI-524.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:39 pm 
i got it to green. but it downloads like 20kb/s. i did all the firewall crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:26 am 
Veecha wrote:
If you're using BitTornado there should be a scroll menu on the front GUI on the buttom left that's called "setting for". If you click on the menu it lets you choose which connection you're on. When you choose your connection, next to it you can choose the exact maximum upload speed. In my case I chose "DSL/cable slow" and upload rate of 10 kb/s. Anything higher seems to bring down my download speed. Maybe you have a different connection speed so try playing around with the upload setting and see if it works.

Downloads "report back" to the server. The speed they send the data to you depends on how fast they receive your response back. That's just something with the way TCP/IP connections work, not a BitTorrent/BitTornado problem or anything. If you saturate your upload bandwidth completely, your downloads won't be able to send their reports back, and will slow down or even stop. I've done it with FTP uploading before even.

That's actually one of the major problems with the patcher for the World of Warcraft game (they use BitTorrent to distribute patch files) - they don't seem to limit the upload speed, so the patcher's upload actually chokes off its own download. http://nomadictendencies.org.nyud.net:8090/patcher.html has more info on that.

With BitTornado and most other BT clients, you can select an upload speed. You want to set that as high as possible, so as to help the tit-for-tat sharing and just to be nice and share as much as possible. But you have to make sure you set it low enough that you're not saturating your upload channel, and choking off the download. If you have broadband, your ISP (or one of the bandwidth test sites) can tell you what upload rate your connection uses. It will probably be something like 256Kb/sec or 384Kb/sec. Note that those are in kilobits. Divide that by 8 to get kilobytes. 256Kb = 32KB, 384Kb = 48KB. That's the theoretical maximum that the connection can do. You'll want to figure a little bit for transmission overhead (the control info that goes along with the actual data), then figure in some extra for the other programs besides BT. If you have a 256Kb connection, 20-25KB is probably a good number to try. If you have a faster or slower upload, you'll want to try more or less. You can slowly try higher rates while loading web pages. Once the page loading slows down or stops, you know you've gone too far. Once again, the idea is to upload as much as possible without completely choking off the connection.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]