the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Netgear wireless routers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:03 pm 
If anybody needs help with a Netgear router, specifically a wireless, check this out. I now have the magic green light after considerable tinkering and frustration, as the Netgear is unique from most others posted here.

My setup-
Winxp home
P3 3ghz, 1GB ram
Sygate personal firewall 5.5 with norton internet security almost completely disabled (See below)
Bittornado 0.312
Netgear WGT624 new version, running a wireless card from my computer

The steps-
1. Get rid of any firewalls other than the favorites mentioned in the posts on this site (ie, replace your windows or norton firewall with Sygate etc...)
2. Figure out your computer's ip address (again, see previous posts on the subject, ipconfig for win xp)
3. Decide which ports to use (something like 6880-6900, could be more but probably not less), see other posts.
4. Set your port forwarding and port triggering on the router (Go to the router's page, by default at 192.168.0.1) and set up both port forwarding and port triggering, the former with your computer's ip and tcp and the latter just with tcp, using the lower port as the announce port. Also see previous posts on this subject.
5. Set up sygate or whatever firewall you're using to port forward at your specified port for btdownloadgui or whatever torrent client you're using.
6. Customize your norton or windows firewall to do absolutely nothing, but you can leave it on. It won't bug you that way, and its more convenient to leave it installed.
7. Test your connection with the checker torrents.

Just make sure you do everything here, because other configurations listed aren't particular to the net gear. Hope that saves you the time it would have saved me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:09 pm 
gah, thats the exact router I have, But I udnerstand none of that :(

do you have AIM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:12 pm 
4. Set your port forwarding and port triggering on the router (Go to the router's page, by default at 192.168.0.1) and set up both port forwarding and port triggering, the former with your computer's ip and tcp and the latter just with tcp, using the lower port as the announce port. Also see previous posts on this subject.

taht part -_-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:44 pm 
wut is the default password/username ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:56 pm 
netgear says my ports are active but it stil doesnt work...
i've set up port triggering and it says my ports are active but when i did a natcheck it failed... i didn't do a port forward cuz my ip address isn't static so i didn't bother
can anyone fix my problem??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:50 pm 
If you can set your port forwarding quickly in the netgear router and don't have to reboot your computer for them to take effect you could use port-forwarding even with a 'dynamic' LAN ip.

Just find out what your current LAN ip is on your computer (typically something like 192.168.1.100) and set up port forwarding on your netgear router to forward ip ports you use in BitTornado to you computer's current LAN ip. That should work just fine till reboot.

At least that way maybe you can see if it's just the router causing your firewalled condition in BitTornado.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]