This guide is for those who HAVE NOT port forwarded and wish to use the uPnP functions of Bittornado. You MUST have a router that supports uPnP. This may fix your yellow light - as it did for me.
Note that you must be a system administrator to do some of this stuff.
Most of the problems are to do with the uPnP services not being installed - this guide aims to help you with doing exactly that in windows XP.
Checking if uPnP is the problem
1. First we must make absolutely sure that uPnP isn't working. Open a torrent and click 'Advanced'.
2. near the bottem, you should see this (where '#####' is a number):
Listening on port #####
If you have this and then 'uPnP port forwarded' after it - uPnP is not the cause of your yellow light. If not, carry on!
Making sure the settings are correct
1. Click the prefrences button:
2. Make sure the uPnP option is on 'type 1 (fast)':
3. Close the preferences window.
4. Close Bittornado
Installing the correct components
1. Click start ---> Control Panel ---> Add or Remove Programs
2. Click 'Add/Remove Windows Components' on the left:
3. Wait until the window loads.
4. Scroll down to networking services:
5. Double click on it.
6. Make sure the following things are ticked:
NOTE: If you have more options ticked - LEAVE THEM TICKED - you dont want to mess anything up. But these 3 are the most important (especially the last one).
ANOTHER NOTE: These already ticked? Move onto the next section.
7. Click OK.
8. Click Next.
9. Wait until the process completes.
10. Click finish
11. Close Add or Remove Programs and the Control Panel (if not done so already).
Making sure the correct services are running
1. Click Start ---> Control Panel ---> Performance and Maintenence ---> Administrative Tools.
2. Double click 'Services'.
3. Scroll down to 'Plug and Play'.
4. Right-click and select properties.
5. Make sure 'Startup type' is set to 'Automatic'.
6. Click apply and then OK
7. Repeat this process for the following services:
SSDP Discovery Service
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
NOTE: If you receive errors next time you boot up - disable the 'Universal Plug and Play Device Host' - it is the least important and may not help anyway.
8. Close all windows.
9. Reboot your PC.
Did it work?
Now you can run bittornado and hold your breath. In my case I saw the glorious green colour pierce my eyes - I hope you do too!
Hope that helped,