the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: simultaneous downloads
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:47 am 
I'm just wondering if downloading with bit tornado simultaneously on 2 pcs (a pc and a laptop connected wirelessly to be more precise) on a wireless router (netgear) will slow down the download speed for any of the two machines? I have port forwarded them both and both were downloading with green lights, but my pc was downloading at 18-25kbps while the laptop was downloading only at around 7-10kbps (on a 256kbits connection). Is it just that way, or is there something I can tweak to increase the speeds? I've also tried opening ports in xp firewall, but I didn't see any significant gain is speeds so I just closed the ports back. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, its just that I've been tweaking my router and bit tornado and searching for guides the whole day that I'm a bit tired and lazy to search. Thanks for the help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:21 pm 
So long as your computer is fast (>1 Ghz and >300 MB ram -- with very few apps running on boot-up), it is faster to run all your torrents on 1 computer than on 2 or more.

This is true so long as you don't exceed the max number of connections allowed by either your wireless router or Windows OS. Win 9x/ME is limited to ~100 connections at once, and Win XP SP2 is limited to only 10 half-open connections PER application at once -- unless you get the special hack for it.

You cannot get any more out of the connection just by splitting it between multiple computers. If 256 kilobits/sec is the max, that's all you'll get.
So if one is running at 18-25 KB/sec and the other is running at 7-10 KB/sec...that's 25-35 KB/sec total, which is about 220-315 kilobits/sec total. In other words, it's overloading your connection and that's why it's jumping around in speeds -- when it's "faster" on 1 computer it was probably "slower" on the other, so the total value never exceeded about 32 KB/sec (or 288 kilobits/sec).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]