the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:32 pm 
I've been struggling to set up port forwarding and my firewall settings to get the super duper green light, to no avail...but randomly the yellow went green midday yesterday, for simply no apparent reason..

that was yesterday, so today i was using BT and managed to download for about 6 hours nonstop, downloading at my connections top speed of 120Kb/s, which got me half way through my download of a file around 2.2 gig.

then my wireless connection dropped (happens fairly often) but it reconnected within a minute or so - as per usual - and guess what!? yellow light! a constant one at that, and for the last 4-5 hours theres been no hint of it becoming green again...

WTF basically?

from Green with a DL rate of 120Kb/s to Yellow with a DL rate of around 2Kb/s is the space of - literally - one minute, without me changing any settings at all....

anyone had this problem before??? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:53 pm 
Yeah I get this crap from my adsl all the time since my modem is located in the basement. Only way that I seem to fix this is just close the client down and restart it. After it restarts it will work fine without any problems until the next disconnect. Only fix for this i've found is to stablize your connection and find out whats causing you to lose connection. In my case its because stupid phone jacsk get moisture causing line noise causing me to lose freakin connection.

As for a wireless network problem I can't help you much besides saying find the problem. I'm pretty sure you internet provider can and should know the answer to why you lose connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:51 am 
Ok, here's my guess at the series of events:
1.Wireless connection becomes overloaded and/or gets hit by too much interferance.
2.ALL Wireless connections lost.
3.Wireless router soft-resets.
4.ADSL modem sees that there's no connections from any computer to it and goes into a wait mode.
5.Wireless router reestablishes connections.
6.Computer reconnects to wireless router, and receives a NEW LAN ip address (going from something like 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.102) -- thus making ALL the port-forwarding settings incorrect.
7.Wireless router reconnects to ADSL modem and possibly receives a new internet WAN ip address -- this causes all seeds and peers in a torrent to be unable to connect to you for a bit, as they're still trying to reconnect to your OLD internet ip address.
8.Wireless interferance may be ongoing and/or BitTornado has to wait a considerable period before the tracker will hand it a new list of seed/peer ip address -- therefore getting reconnected and back up-to-speed is delayed further.
9.BitTornado is now and forevermore firewalled (yellow light) due to changes that occured in step 6.

That's my BEST guess of events.

To fix the problem, you'll need to isolate your wireless connection as best you can, put it in a room with few RF-emitting electronic devices (microwave ovens and hair dryers totally jam/scramble wireless signals) -- use signal boosters if you have to.
Put your computer on a fixed LAN ip (this is the 192.168.1.x number), that way port-forwarding from the wireless router always points to your computer.
Disable UPnP in BitTornado and on your router if this works, as UPnP could be causing the wireless router problems/crashes/lost connections/etc...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]