the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Some questions i have
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:35 pm 
I opened port 6881-6889 on my router(or at least I think I did). When i did the test at http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl ,
I got this message:

Fail!

Successfully connected, but didn't get proper a BitTorrent client response. Make sure you entered a correct hash ID that corresponds to the active torrent on your system. Most likely, your network is properly configured, but repeat this test with a valid hash ID to be sure.

Response was: '\
\
Efficient\ 5861\ DMT\ Router\ '

So far, I tried many different torrent hash IDs but still no luck. I still have a yellow light for my torrent downloads. Any suggestions on what i should do?

By the way, I was curious as to what ip I need to use to open the ports. I have my DHCP ip, and then on that test site it gave me another ip. I opened ports on the ip the test site gave me.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:57 pm 

I glanced at that router's manual and the output you saw on the natcheck result looks almost like the output you get when telnet'ing to the router. So it sounds like you may have accidentally forwarded the bittorrent ports to the router's own telnet port 23.

Post subject: which port is it
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:11 pm 
(TELNET: TCP - 23), (FTP : TCP - 21), (SMTP : TCP - 25), (HTTP : TCP - 80), (TFTP : UDP - 69), (SNMP : UDP - 161), (DNS : TCP - 53)

Those are the options i have to chose from. And you were right i did have port #23 chosen.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:50 pm 
My inbound NAT setting looks like this

WAN
Protocol:
TCP

First Port #:

Last Port #:

Local Machine
IP Address:
My ip from http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

Port #:
Im not sure what's suppose to go here

What port # am i suppose to use for my computer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:08 pm 

The "Local Machine IP address" should be set to whatever IP address your computer on your LAN is assigned by the router itself. It is not the IP that http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl shows. In Windows XP, you can run ipconfig to find out your IP. In Windows 9x/ME, winipcfg is used. It would usually be in a private range such as 192.168.something or 10.something.

Quote:
Port #:
Im not sure what's suppose to go here

I am guessing port # is just the port the router forwards the incoming connections to that were destined to the range you specified (6881-6889). It looks like this router will need more than one rule for more than one port mapping if it is forwarding the way I think it is. Try:

First port 6881
Last Port: 6881

Local Machine
IP address: put the info you get from ipconfig or winipcfg
Port #: 6881

and see if that at least works for one torrent. If it does and you plan on doing more than one torrent download at a time, such as 3, forward 6882 and 6883 the same way.

Post subject: It Works!
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:45 pm 
Thanks alot bytetorrent, you rock.

My torrents are now green and my dl and upl is better. :D

Awesome just awesome.

Thanks Again!

-Themanwiththeplan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:10 am 
If you can set a range of external ports but only a single internal port, in most cases, the ports are also forwarded to a range of internal ports. It's left out, because when you set a range, the amount of ports is also set, so there is no need to put it in twice :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:00 am 

ah. Thanks for the info. I am just used to routers that let you set the range on both ends that could be independent from each other.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]