the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: ports on bit tornado
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:46 am 
which are the best ports to use for bit tornado?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:24 pm 
If you're on Rogers ISP in Canada, there's only 1 good port -- 1720 (the VoIP port) ...and that may change.

They're majorly crippling bittorrent traffic on any other port.

Anything under 4000 is a bad idea, unless you know exactly what you're doing. (Putting it on port 21 btw may get you a phonecall from your ISP...so I don't recommend that.)

It's a good idea to NOT use the original BitTorrent ports of 6881-6899. Some ISPs that don't have true packet shapers still block or throttle any traffic in that ip port range. Your ISP may not be one of them, but you may connect to someone who is on such a crappy ISP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:27 am 
PortForward recommends ports 10000-10004. So far, it seems really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:06 am 
Switeck wrote:
If you're on Rogers ISP in Canada, there's only 1 good port -- 1720 (the VoIP port) ...and that may change.

They're majorly crippling bittorrent traffic on any other port.

Anything under 4000 is a bad idea, unless you know exactly what you're doing. (Putting it on port 21 btw may get you a phonecall from your ISP...so I don't recommend that.)

It's a good idea to NOT use the original BitTorrent ports of 6881-6899. Some ISPs that don't have true packet shapers still block or throttle any traffic in that ip port range. Your ISP may not be one of them, but you may connect to someone who is on such a crappy ISP.

When I forward that port, do I need to change it in my router to forward that one specific port, and then change Bit Tornado to use only that one port? Or how do i set that up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:46 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
When I forward that port, do I need to change it in my router to forward that one specific port, and then change Bit Tornado to use only that one port?
Yes, the port 1720 needs to be set in your router to forward to your computer's LAN address.

And BitTornado also needs to be told to use that port.
BTW, it also means you can only run 1 torrent at a time due to BitTornado's 1-torrent-per-port limitation. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:37 pm 
Glad this came up. I just installed bit tornado today and found a couple torrents to try out, they just completed and now I'm seeding them....anyway under preferences under port range it says 10000 to 60000 should I leave this as is or change it?
I did change the deafault max dl rate to 40 playing with it but is that ok or should I take it higher?
and what does the rest of the stuff mean? I found it earlier and read it but now I can't find it :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:22 pm 
Good FAQs about BitTorrent in general can be found here:

http://www.bittorrent.com/introduction.html
http://www.bittorrent.com/documentation.html
http://www.bittorrent.com/FAQ.html
http://bittornado.com/faq.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:00 am 
Oh...so now it's 10000 to 10010-ish? what happened to 6881? Is that not so recommended now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:16 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
what happened to 6881?
It dropped out of favor as every half-honest ISP decided to cripple connections being made and received from those ports (6881-6899). After all, many ISP don't want to have to pay for bandwidth needed to give the services they're charging for!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]