the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:03 am 
I ran the Shields up program and it says:
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
and also
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
I've been reading a lot of posts on the forum the last few days trying to get a good response from the connection checker, but I keep coming up with the check firewall or portforwarding response. Also all but one of my first 1032 ports are stealth and the remaining one is closed. This is all without Norton internet security, or the windows firewall turned on. I will continue to scan the forums to look for ideas, but any suggestions would be much appreciated!

thanks,
Cory

Post subject: Norton Internet Security
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:15 am 
Ok, here's a thought. Does anybody know if I can go to the configure setting on my Norton Internet Security to just allow these. I tried going into the personal firewall-configure-advance-general, and adding a rule to permit all any computer in/out, any adapter, tcp and udp, on a range 6881-6899, and i set the range in the pref to 6881-6899 as well, but I still get check for firewalls or port forwarding...
and also if i run the shields up on that range it still shows stealth...
so I'm assuming that if I can figure out what is making those ports stealth, this thing I did with NIS may work..
Thanks,
cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:14 pm 
A firewall exists somewhere, it may not be a software firewall on your computer though.

Your ISP may be giving you a non-routable internet address, and if you cannot get your ISP to forward a port or 2 to your computer...there is NO way to get unfirewalled.

Numerous viruses and spyware reroute internet traffic through themselves, but won't route correctly stuff like BitTorrent traffic. Only fools nowdays think they won't get one sooner or later. Computer experts are just better at detecting them early (even without AV help if need be) and removing them quick.

Your DSL/Cable modem may have a router/firewall built into it. If so, you'll need to configure it. Many ISPs are providing such equipment to their customers because it VASTLY reduces auto-infection by internet worms/viruses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:39 am 
I did figure out how to correct my problem. I found a firewall in the router, and I googled my routers name to find very helpful step by step instructions on both setting up a static ip for my computer and forwarding a range of ports through my router.

Thanks for the help,
cory

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]